Are these transmissions kind of slow?

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
After fighting the algae problem with the '81 300D, now I want to know if the Mercedes with this type of automatic transmissions in 1981 were always kind of sluggish. I know that the rear gear ratio is not the best while cruising but what it's bothering me is that the transmission looks weak or slow.

What kind of test should I run to determine if it needs a transmission job or simply a tune up and cleaning? I went to the mechanic's shop in town today in the morning and he recommended to put a bottle of Seafoam designed to tune transmissions and I did. He says it will take running it for some miles to notice any difference.

I'm thinking I need to remove some transmission fluid now because the fluid level is about 1/2" over the top line in the deep stick. I drove it from town to home (about 1/2 hour) and noticed it was between the lines when I parked it at our farm, before putting the whole bottle of Seafoam in it while iddleing in parking. Then I saw that it was over the upper line about 1/2". A friend here told me not to worry and run it a little around the farm to make sure the Seafoam is mixed well and the level reading is correct.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Burt.

Last edited:

Turbo OM617

Reaction score
Never use ANY additives in any lubrication fluids of your vehicle.
The only exception is with diesel fuel in cases of fungi/algae contamination or extreme cold (below -5*f).

Anything with "leak stop" on the bottle will cause damage.

The transmission should shift quickly and firmly at around 3000rpm at normal throttle levels and very firmly at 4500-4800rpm at full throttle.
Sluggish and/or early shifting can be addressed by adjusting the vacuum system to correct specs and installing a valve body repair kit if necessary: http://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-performance-49/722-transmission-shift-kit-49014/