anybody ever lift there bed off with cherry picker?

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this a good idea? I don't have anyone to help me lift my flatbed off, I figured I'll chain four corners then lift it off the frame an inch and drive the truck out, my bed dimensions are 9.6'x8' could a cherry picker handle the bed, I can borrow one

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this a good idea? I don't have anyone to help me lift my flatbed off, I figured I'll chain four corners then lift it off the frame an inch and drive the truck out, my bed dimensions are 9.6'x8' could a cherry picker handle the bed, I can borrow one

Didn't do it with a flat bed but I use my engine hoist attached to my lawn tractor(like a trailer) to pull beds when I do fuel pumps on gasser trucks. Works great.

You must be registered for see images attach

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Cherry picker, as in an engine crane?

Sorry, everyone sees a cherry picker as something different LOL

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cinder blocks with jackstands on top, and a floor jack. or you could jack up the bed and slide 4x4s in there and support the bed and then drive away.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a cherry picker is a little bit too light duty for handling a flatbed demount/mount. if you have a buddy with a twin line wrecker or even a single line wrecker in a pinch, the work and risk of disaster is minimal.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, cool I think I'm going to try it with the cherry picker, thanks guys

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a cherry picker is a little bit too light duty for handling a flatbed demount/mount. if you have a buddy with a twin line wrecker or even a single line wrecker in a pinch, the work and risk of disaster is minimal.

no buddys with a wrecker, you think the cherry picker wouldnt be able to handle it?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I used a 2-ton cherry picker extended all the way from the rear of the truck and put about 100 pounds in the rear of the bed.

Had to make a pretty heavy cross beam out of wood to one under each side of the bed rails a few feet long.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I'm afraid to ask your interpretation:dunno

My buddy calls the boom on his tow truck a cherry picker.

Another buddy calls is small tractor a cherry picker.

I've been at shops where they call the forklift a cherry picker.

Then I worked with a guy that called a true cherry picker and man lift.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
By Wikpedia terms this is one in the same or a platform boom truck for harvesting cherries on the farm.

Yeah, a man lift is just another name for a cherry picker.

But it was called a cherry picker first, so that's just what I always call them.

Just goes to show how 5 different people can call the same tool 5 different things LOL

Same way with, drill, screwdriver, and screw gun :rotflmao

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

Agreed. I think a cherry picker extended out is to light to handle a 1000lb flat bed. Find a tree w a good branch

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, but lifting a regular pickup bed with a cherry picker is alright, they only weigh like what 450ish?