Anybody else run a trap line?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by hesutton, Dec 27, 2017.

1. hesutton

hesutton The Anti-Anderson Supporting Member

Yeah, California is not very friendly to the outdoorsman. Even their department of Fish and Wildlife has a very strict regulation of trapping animals for their work which I thought was shocking. Not sure how they are funded (KDFW is 100% funded by hunters/fishermen/trappers - not a single dime is from the state's budget), but I can't imagine how they manage or improve herd/habitat there with their hands tied by such strict regulation.

Here, there is little the state/fed can do to help improve habitat/herd health on private land like mine. So, I've got to do the best I can with the little time and $$$ I can spend on habitat improvement.

Predators are pretty thick in most places. Fur prices have been down for years so nobody traps anymore. Plus, not many know how to anymore either. I don't sell the fur. The cats are given to friends/family that would like a nice Bobcat mount/rug or pelt. The coons and possums are used to attract yotes to my trap sets (their are essentially bait). Very few fox running about as the yotes don't tolerate them in their territory, but the one I did catch is at the taxidermist now. Yotes are tossed into a pile to rot. Very few folks are interested in their pelts or want one for any reason. Most taxidermist don't mess with them either cause they are stinky suckers. LOL

As far as the neighboring property.... I report violations I notice to the game warden and stolen property to the sheriff's office (they stole a $150 trail camera last month). But, not much else I can do unless they sell it.

Heath

towcat and mu2bdriver like this.
  2. hesutton

Had another coyote this am. Caught her in a snare. It’s so cold, snares are all that’s functional on my trap line right now. All my coil spring footholds are frozen in the ground despite using calcium chloride to bed them. Just too cold for the salt to keep them thawed and working.

CD118D2D-6EA2-4099-AA93-ECB011966239.jpeg

60F9470B-0325-4156-85E8-3CB456B6B891.jpeg

Love catching females. One female yote can have an average of 5-7 pups in a litter.

Heath

3. hesutton

Surprisingly, I had a functional foothold last night. This trap set caught a bobcat on Christmas Day, and the fact that it was remade with freshly salted dirt may have keep it from freezing I guess.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to have another coyote (male this time) this am.

B2F7659E-EF3B-4347-AB45-FCFCCB13C666.jpeg
    9F98945A-DA7C-4737-921B-32CD3904606B.jpeg

I hope this trend keeps up. I want to remove as many yotes as possible!

Heath

towcat likes this.
  4. Jason1377

Jason1377 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't trap nor hunt just a odd thing with me I was in the works for a rehab/rescue for Arkansas under my stepfather but eh that route went a different direction but have owned coyotes n bobcats n bobcats can be a handful owned racoons as well as possums just ur average everyday fur critters around here even some bear roam only cat that made me change my brown pants was a coyote first time I fed a female injured one

5. hesutton

Bitter cold again, too cold for my foot holds to function, but the snares are still doing work for me...

66745552-0E0D-440F-96A7-46C020D83D81.jpeg

10151E6C-6A20-47BE-9912-92163D2FF590.jpeg

Another big male.

Heath

towcat and Thewespaul like this.
  6. hesutton

Solid front pad catch on this female coyote. That’s six so far. Goal is ten.

55030892-1FC5-4255-B902-B6C31EF84156.jpeg

A425C7E2-58A4-4F7C-8EA1-C3E20C525509.jpeg

At least it’s warmed up enough that my traps are functional again.

Heath

towcat, yotekiller and Thewespaul like this.
  7. yotekiller

yotekiller Registered User

I do here. this year has been slow for me, without this truck its been impossible.. picked up another Yote yesterday.. I declared war on Coyotes, its been on for 3yrs now lol

hesutton likes this.
  8. yotekiller

trying to figure out this posting system in here, I will try and post up some pics...

hesutton likes this.
  9. hesutton

This is the biggest coyote I’ve ever caught. Don’t have a hanging scale to weigh them, but my guess is this big boy was close to 60lbs!!!!

69062DF3-41AE-423D-97B2-94E5E0072E5D.jpeg

17BD8171-B223-4C7F-A38E-33476E521F60.jpeg

Seven and counting....

Heath

yotekiller and Thewespaul like this.
  10. yotekiller

same here I have caught some large ones myself, nothing untypical the Eastern is way bigger than the Western Yotes. This was last years cat 27lbs was a big boy

16826020_10209914016262107_5438371982903470339_o.jpg

hesutton likes this.
  11. jwalterus

jwalterus Made in America

That's a big'n all right, I average right around 30lbs up here.
    I gotcha beat on yotes by a couple................. Dozen. LOL
    There's something to be said about sitting in -20° weather with a coupla rifles, we're currently in the any-hour firearm season for them.....
    Funny thing is, around here, farmers will pay you to take care of their coyote problem.
    I'm loving this 22-250 running 45gn screamers, but I've had a couple that I had to "reach out and touch", they stayed where they were dropped.

Let's just say anything with the name "Weatherby Magnum" in the caliber doesn't leave much of a salvageable pelt........... :rotflmao

What the heck else am I going to use that cannon for in ND? :dunno

12. Jason1377

Jason1377 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Give you an idea of Arkansas hunting n fishing laws https://www.agfc.com

Just another messed up part of this state

13. hesutton

That is a nice big cat man. I'm gonna have to look for a hanging scale for my catches. I've been wanting to get more data on them than sex and number. LOL Want to get one to weigh deer as well. Wish my neighbors would trap too. I'm an island in several hundred acres of timber, I can only do so much. However, my neighbors are NOT interested in habitat or predator/prey dynamics.

I wish I had the time to do some predator hunting. I've done a little, but the timber is thick here and you gotta get'm close before you can see them or have a shot at them. With my limited time away from work, trapping has been more productive for removing predators (yotes, cats, raccoons, possum, fox, and an occasional skunk).

Heath

jwalterus likes this.
  14. hesutton

No visible bait? That's an odd one. Several states have that regulation, but I can't for the life of me understand why. They will find it with their nose way before they see "visible bait." Snares requiring deer stops is pretty common too, not in KY, but common. Not sure why the regulation (single piece) on the snare lock. A simple washer style lock will kill a coyote/bobcat just like a cam or wedge lock will.

Looked for a bit and couldn't find a bag limit on any furbearer. No clue if you can take as many of any species you want of if you have a cut off (like we have here for bobcats).

Heath

Jason1377 likes this.
  15. jwalterus

jwalterus Made in America

Yeah, that's one thing up here, you're lucky to be taking a shot as short as 100 yds! LOL

The coulees I hunt I have range markers, for 200, 400, 600, 800, and 1k yds.
    It irritates me that they are too far out of the way for me to go target shooting in the summer. -cuss
    I run a 30-30 for any that pop out near me, the 22-250 for anything up to 400ish, and over 500 the expensive rounds fly! LOL

I gotta get a set of dies for that thing, this chit is expensive! https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...y-magnum-250-grain-nosler-partition-box-of-20