Any specific year 6.5 to avoid?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got settled in. retired from the military and relocated back to Oklahoma city and decided to get another diesel. I sold my 1991 crew cab that I built into a 4x4 a couple years ago so I could concentrate on retiring and family.

Well long story short. I want to go back to GM. No fords or dodges and want another diesel. but not the duramax. so are there are specific years to avoid with the 6.5, I found a couple with miles between 100 and 200k and I am shopping around.

Thanks in advance.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They started fixing the block issues somewhere around 2001. From what I understand most of the issues is with worn harmonic balancers and people overheating them. Keep it cool , toss on a fluid dampner balancer or a new oem and it should last a long time. The other issue is the pmd overheating.You can either relocate it or switch to an earlier pump. You would be better off checking the date code on the block vs going by the vehicle year. A lot of these engines have been replaced and you may find a better block in an earlier year vehicle. . Someone will chime in with more specific/ accurate information.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 2 trucks I found were 1992 and 1994, Both 1 tons with low miles. So I guess they are prone to block issues.. I knew about relocating the PMD, and know these aren't powerhouses, but I don't tow more then 3000lb very often. Maybe 5k at the absolute most a couple times a year.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
92 will have the mechanical pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes so no PMD, but are there any other major issues to worry about. What year did they switch from mechanical to electric pump?

My family has owned 3 of them and never had any major issues. But I thought it was worth asking about first.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wouldn't even worry about the block "issues." If it hasn't scattered by now, it probably won't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its gone. But I found a 1993 extended cab 4x4 with a 6.5 and a nv4500. Guy just wants too much for it. But maybe he will see the light and be reasonable.

When did gm switch from a manual pump?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Just trying to get the guy to be reasonable on the price. Looking forward to getting another older truck . Hard to find since every high school kid cuts holes in the bed for stacks and adds holes for every stupid bolt on you can find...

thanks for the help so far. Hope to be posting pic of my new truck soon. the little 318 Dakota is just way to boring for me