Any Kind of Power upgrades for a N/A IDI?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The deisel shop that moved out of here a few years ago, used to have really good results, putting headers on IDI's. They put headers, and duals, on anyting that didn't have a turbo. The guy that runs a shop here now, was the shop manager out there. He swears he can get more power out of one, with headers, than a turbo. The big trick seems to be putting in an H-pipe.

Plus, they sound awesome with duals, and 48" glasspacks.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem is, where does the performance increase come with headers?

Heating issues? Other issues?

Heheheheh. The BEST performance I ever had with my truck was driving off from the turbo shop with a newly rebuilt IP full of Stanadyne or SOMETHING.

OMG... I was 0-35mph in about 1.2 seconds from the stoplight leaving the place.... wish the truck would do that all the time!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get more power you have to burn more fuel which takes more air. I don't know how headers could ever equal a turbo, but I don't doubt that they would help an NA quite a bit.

bowedup2003

Reaction score
if your'e looking for cheap/easy power throw alittle propane into your IDI! I finally got around to putting it on my truck a few month's back and I LOVE IT! Unloaded my truck will accelerate very well, way better than w/o propane, but loaded, that's where she really shines. On short steep grades it doesn't make much of a difference, but on long climbing grades(1-2 miles etc.) pulling my 24' gooseneck and a load that would normally such the speed from 70 down to about 60, I can cruise up them easily and hold between 68-70 mph the entire way up! I really like it because the power comes on smoothly w/o a hard hit when you engage it. The only real thing you see is a nice trail of smoke similar to what the Cummins put out when pulling.