Another Turbo Thread: A/R .60

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '87 F350 Crew Cab 4X4 Dually came with an early Banks Turbo system, the compressor housing reads A/R .60 AiResearch, which I understand is a Garrett unit. Beyond that, I haven't got a clue about the internals. I've read some of the recent turbo threads to educate myself. The 6.9 has a blown head gasket. I'm in the process of taking the 7.3 out of my '90 to replace the 6.9. The Banks website apparently considers their "historical" products obsolete, as there aren't any replacement parts for this setup, much less useful information. I intend to keep the C6 for now, so I hope to get a gasket set and bolt the turbo up to the 7.3. Is this the same housing that eventually ended up with BANKS casting? If it hasn't been rebuilt or upgraded internally, are there improvements that can or should be made to this turbo before putting it on the 7.3? Any information or tips regarding this unit specifically is greatly appreciated.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early banks should a T04B turbo if it's a Garret. Kinda old and inefficient for today's market/cam selection. With that being said, there is a plethora of upgrades you can do to this turbo from the aftermarket vendors if you are dead set on this turbo. A newer sidewinder/te06h turbo(more relevant because the JDM guys like them) would bet you better results with the "laziness" of the engine.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I asked. I am not dead set on it, but have a heck of a time finding anything useless, if it can be revived. I thought the T04's were stamped that way. I didn't see T04 cast into body of it. Since I could never afford to purchase 2 new turbo setups, I'll end up using this on this truck, or my other '90 with the ZF.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the .60 housing is pretty tight, and builds boost more quickly at lower RPMs.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A/r should be relevant to the turbine wheel, so a .6 a/r on a 62mm turbine would be a different inlet size than a .89 housing for my te06h(banks sidewinder). All in all it should spool decently and give you a safe amount of boost well throughout the power band. Might wanna watch your egt's in the upper room levels though. I think the T04B came with a 1.0 houaing

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Increased EGT's due to back pressure at the turbo?? I read that the smaller radius housing can result in exhaust stagnation. Is there better turbine/compressor wheel I should search for? The Boost and EGT gauges are in place. I know the 6.9 had about 100,000 miles since rebuild. The turbo must have been making some boost.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CHRA is very moddable since Garrett likes to use the same cartridge for their ENTIRE line of turbos (t3, t4, t6, etc.)

The turbine wheel, while outdated, still does its job of spinning the compressor.

You'll choke the engine at the upper room and yes, cause the exhaust to back up, more or less because you'll start re-compressing the exhaust in the manifolds and up pipes. But spool much faster down low, so it really depends on where you're going to use the truck. Rev limiter up a hill or around the torque peak at 1700-2000 rpm. I like the latter.

Yes. Do have a conversation with typ4. He has a couple tricks to modernize these old turbos to really make for a nice spooling, cool boosting safe addition to your rig!

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Banks early turbo (Rotomaster) is stamped .60 on the compressor housing with a 1 for the turbine.
They were known for lower exhaust restriction and lower boost with the .60 compressor.
Talk to typ4, he modded my compressor (larger wheel & machined housing) which made an amazing difference in my truck.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been an IDI family member(then buried the '87 NA 460) for over 10 years, and the only one with a turbo was a tired 1994 ATS Dually. I was not overly impressed. I'm in the process of taking the Banks turbo off the '87 so I can pull the 6.9, and it is a pain in the a$$. Like many here, the IDI community where I am, is me. Encouragement here is helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online