Another Interesting IDIT Failure

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled this locked up idit from a customers truck for a cdd replacement, this was an unknown condition cL engine that was really clean under the valve covers and ran great. It locked up going down the highway without warning, no gauges though. I pressure tested the cooling system and was surprised to find it held pressure.

Pulled the engine and dropped the pan, and found at least 8” of thick goo covering the bottom of the pan and the pickup.

The goo clogged the pickup, filled the piston squirters and basically slowly starved the engine of oil till it locked up.

Upon further investigation, I’m positive this stuff is at least 5 quarts of Lucas oil treatment, the stuff that’s thicker than gear oil that some people seem to really believe in, that gelatinized while sitting when it was pulled from the wrecked truck and put into my customers rig. Despite frequent oil changes it never drained the Lucas until it killed the engine.

So the takeaway-

1. Put some gauges in your truck if you care about your engine!

2. If you’re going to put a used engine in your truck, pull the pan and make sure everything is clean, just because it’s clean under the valve covers doesn’t mean there’s no issue.

3. Just say no to any Lucas products!

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s what the pan looks like sitting on the floor, with the drain plug out, you can see how clogged it is.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Be interesting to send some off as a oil sample and have it compared to lucas oil additive.
My father in law puts that crap in his gas engines. (V6 and 4 bangers) I've tried telling him....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, once I cut the hand wind handles off of one of those parts store Lucas displays with the plastic gears and attached my drill. Though the Lucas looks better and hand crank speeds, it IMMEDIATELY foamed up when ran at engine speed, and henceforth remaind that way for five hours not bieng touched.

Talk about cavitation, Lucas oil additive is BOTTLED oil system cavitation

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been told many times that I should run it. I've also heard it's practically just non-detergent 50wt oil. Either way I'm glad to have some confirmation that I shouldn't be running it. Not that I ever really considered it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a gallon jug of Lucas oil treatment in the garage. It was given to me when someone was cleaning out a family member garage when they passed. The gave it to me since they knew I do all my own work and figured I would use it. It's still sitting in the corner when I put it whne they dropped it off. They brought other stuff that has all been used, but not that stuff....

I've been using the SuperTech 5wX0 in my F-150 and Infiniti and it seems to work well in them. I used Chevron Delo in the 6.0 and have used Mobile Delvac in my IDI.

The only additives I put in oil is Rev-X in the 6.0. I use Power Service, or Howes in the tank..... but the other stuff stays on the shelf.

On a side not, the best fuel system cleaner I found for my F-150 is put a few gallons of E85 in it (don't worry it a FlexFuel engine). My Son has seen the same thing in his FlexFuel Impala.... Run some every once in a while and they seem to stay running better.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, once I cut the hand wind handles off of one of those parts store Lucas displays with the plastic gears and attached my drill. Though the Lucas looks better and hand crank speeds, it IMMEDIATELY foamed up when ran at engine speed, and henceforth remaind that way for five hours not bieng touched.
Talk about cavitation, Lucas oil additive is BOTTLED oil system cavitation
I have often wondered! Thanks for the info.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
WOW! That's worse than the oil style Pennzoil! The only ones that I've seen that bad were ones that had a catastrophic failure resulting in a cracked (or worse) block. And there's obviously no antifreeze in that engine.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use to be Havoline motor oil was really bad stuff. Could always tell when it was in an engine when we tore them down. A gray slim that would not come off in in an hot tank. Don't know about it now days.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a D4D Hilux 3.0 through the shop a while back that looked like that - it hadn't had the oil changed for 60000km and it looked just like that in the sump.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yikes, 50% Lucas? They tell you to use no more than 20% capacity. I'm not sure you can entirely blame the Lucas product on an engine failure on 2.5x the max amount being put into it. The most I have put in my F250 (a moderate oil burner) was 10%, 1qt. It quieted the engine a lot and I think it did slow oil burning but I only did the once.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Notice how both of them 'foam' in the first test....