1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amsoil synchromesh in ZF-5

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Kevin 007, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Kevin 007

Kevin 007 Full-floater

Stumbled across a few quarts of Amsoil Syncromesh on my shelf that I once bought for an NV4500 GM, that I never ended up using. Im due for a fluid change on a ZF-S542 that has some worn syncros and wondering if anyone has had good results. I have heard rumors that it's good stuff.

I always use Mobil 1 syn ATF in ZF's....but this will be the last oil change in this trans before it has to come out for some syncro's/cold shifting problems, so im thinking I will give this a try and see what happens.

2. flareside_thun

flareside_thun Reviving The General Tao

I'm interested to know how this turns ou . Mine is a little loose inside as wel .

3. Kevin 007

Kevin 007 Full-floater

I should have in installed in a couple weeks and will report back. If it helps out the synchro problem even a bit, it will be note worthy.

4. Garbage_Mechan

Garbage_Mechan Garbage Mechanic

Redline MTL has kept my ZF’s happy. My 91 had 210,000 miles on the trans and shifts perfectly.

5. Desertfireguy

Desertfireguy Full Access Member

The Pennzoil version didn't make enough of a difference, so I ended up rebuilding with a new synchro/bearing kit. I did refill with new Pennzoil and haven't had any issues since.