Alternator or regulator?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I have a drain on my battery unless I disconnect the negative cable. It started as a slow drain and now after about six hours the truck will not start. I have been checking the wiring but haven't found anything out of the ordinary.
I know the diode in an alt can fail and drain a battery in a hurry. Every one that I have had fail like that did it suddenly, no problems and then one morning it would be dead.
This is different so I wasn't sure.
I don't have the spare cash to go buy a new alternator so I'm hoping it is the regulator.
I have been reading the other threads about similar issues but I just wanted some input before i go changing parts.
I don't need to waste any money if I can prevent it.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same problem here. Pull the alternator and have it tested. I'll be doing the same thing in the morning.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the wires at the alt. See if the battery still drains

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Remove the wires at the alt. See if the battery still drains

You know, I should have thought of that. Wow now I feel dumb! I guess getting frustrated looking for the problem I overlooked the obvious way to find out. Thank you.

Can the testing machine tell if the diode is failed allowing it to drain the battery?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
The good bench models can. I don't see how those new electronic hand held would do that.

I'll take it off and have it put on the bench type. As far as checking the charging I have a multimeter and a battery/load/charging system checker. It is charging at 14.4-14.5 at idle with the accessories on. But it won't test the amps or the diode so I guess after Christmas I'll pull it and take it to be checked.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The guy at o'reilly said their handheld will check the diodes. I had one that seemed like it was over charging because all my lights were all of a sudden brighter than ever. It tested fine though.

Black dawg

Reaction score
anything that will drain 2 batteries in 6 hours, will be warm. most likely the regulator.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect both negative cables while you install the new regulator or else you could have the same issue all over again.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Okay, new alternator, new regulator and new battery.
Alternator finally bit the dust. Then the battery died. Then the regulator started over charging. So they all got replaced in less than a week. Worked fine for a few days, now while driving the volt meter drops real low for several seconds and then comes back up. It does this repeatedly. Checked it with a volt meter, at idle it is steady but raise the rpm's up to around 2000 and it drops to 13.0-13.2 range then back to 14.3 or there abouts. Back and forth.
Had it checked at the parts store and their machine said it is fine.
I have double checked all the connections and everything is fine. Have looked for a short and haven't found any yet.

HELP!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Should be the glowplugs coming on to limit voltage. Hook a light up to the glowplugs output wire and see if it lights up when the voltage drops. It's setup to keep from over charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight