Alternative diesel fuel

I Bleed Blue

Reaction score
who out there is running on fuel other then diesel. I have a 1992 7.3 idi and run used transmission fluid with about a 50/50 mix when i have trans fluid. wondering if anyone else is doing the same or similar?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the 'alternative fuels' forum, further down the list.

People have successfully run these engines on WMO, WVO, SVO, mixtures of gasoline and oil(you need a thinner than straight motor oil mix; ATF can almost be run by itself).

The issue, however, is cleanliness. The IP in your IDI has less than .001" clearance between the rotor(spinning at cam speed) and head(which is stationary). Little particles of metal can either wear these parts or jam them.

Filtration is critical, and the stock fuel filter isn't adequate for protecting against few-micron particles.
A Centrifuge is the best way to clean, but also most expensive to purchase.

I Personally think you shouldn't use alternate fuels unless you have the funds or ability to replace the fuel system when something goes wrong; if you have a spare IP and injectors and know how to install them, well, you won't be stuck.

I'm probably going to start running alternate fuels within the next year, but that depends on purchasing the right equipment to do the job.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running wvo on custom designed heated systems for years in my Jetta TDI and my IDI.

Filtration is crucial, and so is dewatering. But so is assembling a biofuel kit that will bring the temp of the veg so its viscosity is near identical the diesel. And the kit needs to be made of materials that won't react with the veg.

I have bunch of my TDI build on my biofuel website: http://www.nickpisca.com/wvo.php

I don't have much documentation about my IDI mods because I'm in the process of making a huge post about all my fuel system mods... which also include my epumps, custom selector valves, r&d filters on my crossmember, and other stuff. I'll post that when I finally finish it.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run 1000's of gallons of WVO in my Benz and my IDI. all of it centrifuged and de-watered with a fluid driven centrifuge. I run two-tank systems and start and shut down on diesel or bio-diesel. I would like to clean up some wmo and add a quart or so per fill up to my diesel tank just to get rid of it, but then I'd make a mess out of my centrifuge set-up.

I Bleed Blue

Reaction score
I’m actually a ford tech so I got the knowledge of any repairs but I’m new to the IDI realm love the engine just never actually owned one. I come by used trans fluid for free so the filtration is the only cost

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a gravity feed system with three filters mounted between a high-mounted "fill" barrel and a low-mounted "storage" barrel. The three filters progressively filter down to 1 micron. I pour my alternative fuel into the "fill" barrel, and over time, gravity pushes the fluid thru the 3 filters and then it fills the bottom "storage" barrel.

Since I'd expect tranny fluid to have negligible or zero water content, then you shouldn't need any settling time. You could just focus on the filtration process.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally after seeing the results @Sidewinded_idi posted up of centrifuged oil that had already been filtered, I'll be waiting for a 'fuge before I run any. I was very surprised how dirty his already filtered oil ended up being. I think he was too...

EDIT: Here's the link. https://www.oilburners.net/threads/why-you-should-only-centrifuge-wmo.82179/

If you are running a stock fuel system, then yeah, a fuge is the way to go. I'm not that concerned about the photos in that link... different room temperatures affect the proportion of congealed liquids, so while it looks scary initially, it's not a major concern. Fuging that same liquid on a hot summer day would reveal less sludge than on a cold day in the garage .

But if you invest in a separate heated fuel system, then as long as the fuel is filtered to 1micron, it can run on thicker alternative fuels.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are running a stock fuel system, then yeah, a fuge is the way to go. I'm not that concerned about the photos in that link... different room temperatures affect the proportion of congealed liquids, so while it looks scary initially, it's not a major concern. Fuging that same liquid on a hot summer day would reveal less sludge than on a cold day in the garage .

But if you invest in a separate heated fuel system, then as long as the fuel is filtered to 1micron, it can run on thicker alternative fuels.

Wrong. That’s not congealed fluid. That’s dirt and byproducts. I’ve been running. 1000’s or gallons of wmo and summer/winter don’t make any difference what it pulls out.you want to cheap out and do it without centrifuging be ready for plugged prechambers and worn ip. Do it right or don’t do it at all

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally after seeing the results @Sidewinded_idi posted up of centrifuged oil that had already been filtered, I'll be waiting for a 'fuge before I run any. I was very surprised how dirty his already filtered oil ended up being. I think he was too...

EDIT: Here's the link. https://www.oilburners.net/threads/why-you-should-only-centrifuge-wmo.82179/

Thanks, I’ll nominate to have the poster above send me his 1 micron filtered oil and process it for free through my tank and show you what I pull!

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
130k on my Jetta and 110k on my IDI since 2007 and 2012, respectively. Not only am I confident in my filtration and my custom secondary biofuel circuit (which btw is not cheap, and an extrapolation of the superior Frybrid design), I drive these vehicles to the remotest parts of North America with complete faith in my process.

I've driven to Prudhoe Bay, Happy Valley Goose Bay, St John's, Labrador City, the James Bae Road, Yellowknife, White horse, death valley, all of New England, the AT, the entire pch, entire Alcan hwy (4 times), the entire continental divide, the entire trans Canadian hwy, and more. I've been to every state but Hawaii and ever Canadian province and territory.

My next trip in July is the new road to Tuktoyuktuk (from los Angeles with a detour to Chicago). Put your centrifuge where your mouth is, and meet us there. Will your truck make it?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever floats your boat. This forum isn't about "... or don't do it at all. " it's about helping people out.

Last edited:

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, when I pulled my heads there wasn't any "clogged pre chambers." You need a citation on that.

If anything, it would clog the injectors for that argument to make any sense.
No it wouldn’t. The excess particles in dirty wmo will build up in the prechambers. Seen it firsthand many times.And we’re talking about wmo, you seem to be unfamiliar with it as your referencing biofuel. Two completely different processes. I haul heavy equipment for a living all on wmo so I’ll leep doing what I’m doing. No need to go someplace uncomfortable.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I've been pretty explicit about the fact I'm taking about biofuel, in a section labeled "alternative diesel fuel. "