Allison transmission solutions...

timmi

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently I have heard of many problems associated with the Allison automatic transmission, specifically the 1000 and 2000 series transmissions... GM has been using a sub-par auto trans fluid in these transmissions when they are put together at the GM factory, and there have been many failures due to this, especially in the colder climates. The fluid is too thick at colder temperatures, and leads to premature pump failure, among other problems. A preventable solution for this is to use the ALLISON recommended transmission fluid, known as Transynd. Many people here (Alaska) are now switching to Transynd with good results...
If you feel this might be something you are interested in, I have listed below what you will need plus the items you might want to replace while your at it...

Transynd Part # 27101 A synthetic transmission fluid, sold by the gallon, 5 gallon bucket, or 55 gallon drum. Around $40 a gallon at the moment, cheaper if bought in 5 gallon bucket. A complete transmission flush uses around 4.5 gallons. If only dropping the pan, you may only need 2 gallons or less. Buy this at your local Allison tranmission dealer/supplier for the best price.

Spin-on filter Part # 29539579 This is the Allison filter spec'd for your transmission. Around $9.25 at your local Allison dealer. About $40 at your local GM dealer. Be sure to keep and re-use the circular magnet that sits inside the filter. If yours does not have one, see below...

Filter magnet Part # 29535617 A circular magnet used inside, on top, of the spin on filter. Around $3 at your local Allison provider.

Internal pan filter (shallow pan) Part # 29537965 Allison internal filter that is inside most GM trucks, inside your transmission pan. Around $26.00 at your local Allison provider. A deep pan and filter is available as an upgrade, see below...

Internal pan filter (deep pan) Part # 29537966 Allison internal filter that is inside your deep transmission pan, used on larger vehicles. Holds a gallon or two more fluid than the shallow pan. Around $26 at your local Allison provider.

Deep pan Part # 29536522 A nice upgrade for those who are using the shallow pan. Holds about a gallon more fluid, keeps the oil temperature lower and possibly extend your fluid change intervals.

Pan gasket Part # 29536526 The transmission pan gasket you will want to have if you dont want to have fluid leaks.. Around $36 at local Allison place.

Thats all I have for now. If you have any questions, I can try to help you...

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
A couple of points to add on to this. Allison doesn't recommend you change the internal filter unless you are adding a deep pan or doing a rebuild or as some do adding a Transgo Jr, Suncoast kit etc. A deep pan is a must in my opinion if you hauling loads or towing a lot and or towing heavy loads.

Doing the Hoot method flush is the only method to use with the Allison as they tell you not to do a machine flush or you could launch your tranmission. The Wix Hyraulic filter 57701 is also a great filter for the trans spin-on to use if you can't find an Allison dealer to buy the Ally filter. If you have access to it, Amsoil's Torque Drive is an exact clone of the Castrol Transynd and usually at a cheaper price.

The latter two are something that can be bought on the wholesale program that I offer to you wonderful folks here if your interested in using Amsoil and the partner products, Wix, Donaldson, NGK, Mothers Polishes & Waxes, Twin Air Products, Mann Filters, Injen Intakes as well as the Amsoil branded synthetic media air & oil filters with the extended life warranties.

Dane

PhysicoDuramax

Reaction score
Allison tranny

A few weeks ago I bought a used 2001 Chevy 1 Ton Dually, Has 118,000 miles on it, looked good and ran well. Paid 11,5 and away I went. Drove it off the lot at noon, got home at 6pm. Was walking aound wooooing and ahhhing at the BIG Diesel I now had, Looked under it to check the spare tire out a little closer...has new tires all around, and low and behold......oil all over everything. Called the dealer and took it back the next morning. Long story short. Said the front seal was out. Said they "fixed" it, and "We drove it around for a while and did not leak any oil any more". Never could get the service guy to tell me if they replaced the seal or not just that they fixed it. What the hell does that mean a "CORK" ?? Is ther any way to "fix" this without replacing the seal?? Also noticed the other morning when it was cold put it in gear..It dident move, and when it did "BANG" in gear and away I went. PROBLEMS ???? any input ---Appreciated--JimInNebr

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Haven't had those problems. I do get a bang or clunk sometimes when putting it in gear or shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa. The locker in the diff doesn't always drop in (engage) quietly.

Tom

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought a used 2001 Chevy 1 Ton Dually, Has 118,000 miles on it, looked good and ran well. Paid 11,5 and away I went. Drove it off the lot at noon, got home at 6pm. Was walking aound wooooing and ahhhing at the BIG Diesel I now had, Looked under it to check the spare tire out a little closer...has new tires all around, and low and behold......oil all over everything. Called the dealer and took it back the next morning. Long story short. Said the front seal was out. Said they "fixed" it, and "We drove it around for a while and did not leak any oil any more". Never could get the service guy to tell me if they replaced the seal or not just that they fixed it. What the hell does that mean a "CORK" ?? Is ther any way to "fix" this without replacing the seal?? Also noticed the other morning when it was cold put it in gear..It dident move, and when it did "BANG" in gear and away I went. PROBLEMS ???? any input ---Appreciated--JimInNebr

How cold was cold? It sounds like if it was super cold that the fluid in the trans is old and not synthetic. A fluid change to synthetic would help that issue if it is just the fluid that is causing that problem. It could also be something more severe internally in the trans.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Also noticed the other morning when it was cold put it in gear..It dident move, and when it did "BANG" in gear and away I went. PROBLEMS ???? any input ---Appreciated--JimInNebr

The first stop would be a fluid change. Definitely use the synthetic. Also, the '01 trucks had some issues with early TCMs. I believe Gm started swapping them out to a black color module and that solved most of the problems. You may take it to the dealer and ask them if it has the latest programming too.

The problem seems more of a fluid or electronic problem.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
A couple of points to add on to this. Allison doesn't recommend you change the internal filter unless you are adding a deep pan or doing a rebuild or as some do adding a Transgo Jr, Suncoast kit etc. A deep pan is a must in my opinion if you hauling loads or towing a lot and or towing heavy loads.

Doing the Hoot method flush is the only method to use with the Allison as they tell you not to do a machine flush or you could launch your tranmission. The Wix Hyraulic filter 57701 is also a great filter for the trans spin-on to use if you can't find an Allison dealer to buy the Ally filter. If you have access to it, Amsoil's Torque Drive is an exact clone of the Castrol Transynd and usually at a cheaper price.

The latter two are something that can be bought on the wholesale program that I offer to you wonderful folks here if your interested in using Amsoil and the partner products, Wix, Donaldson, NGK, Mothers Polishes & Waxes, Twin Air Products, Mann Filters, Injen Intakes as well as the Amsoil branded synthetic media air & oil filters with the extended life warranties.

Dane

So what is the "Hoot" method flush. This is my first truck with an auto and I really like it. I want to make it last as long as possible. It now has 53k on the odo. I considered having the tranny flushed and internal filter change last summer by the Chevy dealer, but never got around to it. In light of this thread, I think I'll put it on my list of things to do this summer. Change over to synthetic and consider the deeper pan. Which reminds me, it's about time to change the spin on filter...

Tom

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
So what is the "Hoot" method flush. This is my first truck with an auto and I really like it. I want to make it last as long as possible. It now has 53k on the odo. I considered having the tranny flushed and internal filter change last summer by the Chevy dealer, but never got around to it. In light of this thread, I think I'll put it on my list of things to do this summer. Change over to synthetic and consider the deeper pan. Which reminds me, it's about time to change the spin on filter...

Tom

The "Hoot Method" Flush is as follows:

Drain pan, change spin on filter, refill pan. Then take the return line off the trans put a 5/8 heater hose on the cooler line and run it into a 1 gallon container. Start the truck and put it in gear and pump 1 gallon of old fluid out. Shut off and replace with 1 gallon fresh fluid. Repeat until fluid is running clean. That will get you to approx 90%+ fresh fluid including the Torque Converter.

DO NOT take it to the dealer or anywhere else and have them use a Machine to do a flush. Allison says don't do machine flush on it at all it could cause damage to the trans. Allison says don't change the internal filter until you add a deep pan or a rebuild or a trans kit. Just change fluid & spin ons and use synthetics for longer life and change intervals. ;Sweet

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Thanks! I may be contacting you at a later date for some prices on synthetics.

Just had one of my cooler lines changed last month at the dealership. I have since found a "permanent" fix for the inferior GM lines. Need to do that because the others will need to be changed sooner or later. That will probably be a good time to do the flush and fluid change. Add it to the list!

Tom

PhysicoDuramax

Reaction score
lots of input.....thanks.... will try to do most of what has been suggested. I suppose dealerships are trying to save money any way possible, but ya would think with a seal failure they would have changed the oil and filter.Guess I'll have to do it my self.