Allison 6 speed transmision?

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ya'll think about the idea of putting an Allison 1000 or 2000 series 6 speed transmission behind an IDI? Ran across a company that makes adapter kits to put the Allison in all kinds of different vehicles, I asked them if they had one for the IDI and they told me they are working on the appropriate adapter and flex plates (and standalone electronics for it) for both the 6.9/7.3 NA and 7.3 Turbo motors, expected availability toward the end of the year.

https://www.caconversions.com/

I'll tell you I'm getting a bit tired of listening to the gear roll over from my SMF flywheel on my ZF, I would go back to DMF if you could still find new ones, and I've never liked how high reverse is in the 5 spd. The conversion to the Allison would not be cheap... what ya'll thoughts on it? I would lean toward the close gear ratio version.

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about it. Most of your idi's that came in the MD world already have an sae type 2/3 flywheel housing. So all you'd have to do is find or build the correct adapter to mate the flywheel/flexplate to the torque converter. The only other thing you'll need is a throttle input. The rest of the sensors for the tcm are exclusive to the transmission.

The reason I decided against it was because having a control module operate the transmission kind of defeats the purpose and simplicity of the mechanical idi engine.

CA conversions are well rated. They're pretty much the go to for newer allisons swaps and standalone controllers.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer to not add a computer to the truck, but the possibility of more gears and lower reverse are very attractive.

Last trip with the travel trailer found myself wanting to be between 3rd and 4th pulling steep grades. Also when backing up the trailer in tight spaces where one needs to move slow, the clutch on the 5 speed gets abused pretty hard. Clutch fully engaged even at idle with 4.10 differential reverse is awful fast. Having an unlocked torque converter in reverse would be a blessing at times.

I've thought about adding a transfer case just to get '4 low' when backing up [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're 2wd and have a manual. I'd stick with your zf5 and put an auxiliary transmission in it. Whether its a gear vendors unit or one of the medium duty brownie boxes. I'd think that route would be cheaper then swapping to an allison.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ya'll think about the idea of putting an Allison 1000 or 2000 series

I like it...been thinking about it for a while (too long).

I prefer to not add a computer to the truck

Me too. I would, however, like to add an automatic to the "remuda".
The Allison seems like a better option than E4OD or 4R100 to me.

cheaper then swapping to an allison

BUT ... NO compression braking (with GV & I haven't been able to find a Nash).
That's a problem for me.

I considered 3.55 or 3.73 gears, but then reverse is even faster ... so?

I've also considered the addition of a transfer case ... not a big fan of that plan but it's better than smokin' your clutch when backing a trailer into position.

Just my 2 cents.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The electronics/harness are expensive, but it's very hard to dispute the end results with regards to performance and fuel mileage. Anybody who's ridden in a newer diesel with an auto with 5 or more forward speeds knows the answer.

I really stout IDI would definitely benefit, I'd be really interested in the fuel mileage that an IDI/Allison would yield.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tr...nsmission-your-hardworking-rig-will-ever-need

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT ... NO compression braking (with GV & I haven't been able to find a Nash).
That's a problem for me.

I considered 3.55 or 3.73 gears, but then reverse is even faster ... so?

I've also considered the addition of a transfer case ... not a big fan of that plan but it's better than smokin' your clutch when backing a trailer into position.

Just my 2 cents.

Only with the gear vendors in overdrive/underdrive. When in direct, it isn't an issue. So turn it off and select the right gear before you need the compression braking.

I think the DNE/Us gear units are pretty old and rare.

If I was 2wd and needed gears, a brownie box is what I would look for over the other units.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the wife stops screaming about it, after I tell her, I will be in. The '94 7.3 idi Turbo crewcab dually with 4.10 axle gears has been needing two more gears for some time now.
That might help me catch that Duramaxx diesel I was chasing a few weeks ago. Then again, probably not.
I was carrying a camper and he was towing a 30' (+/-) camper trailer.

gfemling

Reaction score
Only with the gear vendors in overdrive/underdrive. When in direct, it isn't an issue. So turn it off and select the right gear before you need the compression braking.

Need someone with experience to chime in on this- I specifically asked a GV rep (reliable advice??) about compression braking with GV and was told wasn’t a problem but I have heard definitely NOT to engage in reverse. But compression braking loads the gear train, and in particular the one way clutch in o/d, differently than reverse. So what do you owners/operators of GV units know/think on this?

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the wife stops screaming about it, after I tell her, I will be in. The '94 7.3 idi Turbo crewcab dually with 4.10 axle gears has been needing two more gears for some time now.
That might help me catch that Duramaxx diesel I was chasing a few weeks ago. Then again, probably not.
So if one wanted to get crazy...

Convert to the Allison 6 speed and add a Gear Vender to it... and walla, a 12 speed 7.3 Turbo Diesel![emoji16]

gfemling

Reaction score
So if one wanted to get crazy...

Convert to the Allison 6 speed and add a Gear Vender to it... and walla, a 12 speed 7.3 Turbo Diesel![emoji16]

Hmm not to pour cold water but that all depends on spacing of the standard gears- to be effective the GV’s gearing reduction needs to be fairly evenly split between the standard gear ratios ;-)

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So turn it off and select the right gear before you need the compression braking.

I typically downshift as a last resort when towing.

I have no issue with an extra switch to accelerate more efficiently but I'd rather not add another process, to the manual of arms, when it comes to slowing the truck.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t like the Allison behind our dt466e at all. IH locked out the extra gear they used in heavier model trucks and no overdrive eats fuel when loaded, would honestly rather have a well built e40d behind the IDI with a trans controller.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That Duramax doesn't know (or care) that it had anything behind it, unlike our IDIs:peelout

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online