Air Intrusion Question

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You DO realize that the President does not set oil prices, right? :Whatever:

Also, in 1970 gas in SC was 19.9 cents a gallon, and Nixon was President. Can we get back to discussing IDI problems now?
They dont control the prices directly, but their and the majority parties policies definitely have major affects on prices of everything. Just look around and you can see that. shutting down pipelines and drilling is not going to make the price go down.

Was Trump a perfect president? nope not by a long shot, but he was amazing for our economy and for the citizens income and buying power.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is that the truth?!!
I think it's pretty much true everywhere. Some of it has to do with the state and local taxes too. Diesel was under $2/gal before the election. Last night, I paid $3.34. 13 miles south, it was $3.42 at the same chain of gas stations. There's probably more to it than I am aware of.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I think it's pretty much true everywhere. Some of it has to do with the state and local taxes too. Diesel was under $2/gal before the election. Last night, I paid $3.34. 13 miles south, it was $3.42 at the same chain of gas stations. There's probably more to it than I am aware of.
I paid $4.05 this morning, and it has been $4.15 for awhile. It's plain ridiculous.

Rock

Figor

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have deleted all that stuff. I have a homemade setup of an electric fuel pump and two filters down of the frame close to the tank. No more olives or fuel heaters creating problems.

Is this a common mod or did you happen to do a write up on your set up?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Lets see what others suggest but -

I would venture to say 25-30% have gone e-pump and or added too or replaced the the factory filter set up.

Others can weigh in but I have not heard of or recall seeing on this site folks complaining about issues from the factory filtration being sub par. Maybe if you drive dirt roads all day doing equipment repair or construction adding filtering would be adventageous.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
If you add an e pump, you should use a prefilter for the pump. That's usually the only reason anybody adds filters.

Rock

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a common mod or did you happen to do a write up on your set up?
Quite a few people swap out the mechanical pump for an e-pump. it can aid with hard starting due to air intrusion. although you should fix the air intrusion instead of masking it. also if the mechanical pump fails it can fill your crankcase with fuel. not super common but it happened to me. I would say the main reason is wanting to get more power out of your motor though. when you start adding bigger IPs and turbos the mechanical pump cant keep up. depending on the e-pump you go with it can support some monster IPs.
my reason was a combo of above. my shower head failed and clogged my pickup. I couldn't get the rpms over 2000. I have a utility bed on my truck and the way the previous owner ran the fill tube, it was literally kinked 90% closed. I would use a wood clamp to try and pinch it open and even then I had to hold the fill pump by hand barely open otherwise it would back up and overflow. So I ripped it all out, went to a single big tank in the rear, new lines all the way up to make sure they were clean inside and put a bigger e-pump and better filtration on it in preparation for a bigger IP and turbo that will be coming sometime this year.

You can see the start of it on this thread, starting in post 185
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/project-asmith.80305/page-13

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would bet that your fuel pump is the issue.

one thing i should have done to your truck is install a fuel pressure gauge for this exact reason