Air intrusion on 1990 7.3L f350 with banks turbo

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Most of us just buy from Russ (Typ4), Classic Diesel Designs, Conestoga Diesel, or R&D IDI Performance and let them worry about the nozzles. You also may be able to get ahold of one of them and have them tell you where to get new ones.

danda

Reaction score
Thx, yeah I checked out the online shops for each of these. Looks like Classic Diesel and R&D are out of stock.

So the question now is should I buy new or reman from Russ or Conestoga. It seems the pricing works out similarly.

For example, rockauto has brand new:
GB Manufacturing: $35
Standard Motor Products: $44
Delphi: $55.

So for a set of Delphis, that is $440.

Ordinarily I would just buy the new ones. But I've read a few things indicating that quality is not what it once was, even for the Delphis.

So...

1. what do y'all think of GB vs Standard Motor Products vs Delphi?
2. new vs reman -- from a trusted forum member.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've used both Mel and Russ so I don't have any recommendations there. I'm not sure that there are still new injectors available anymore despite what the listings show so I'd be suspicious of them. I would stay FAR away from the one from anyone except for the four that I mentioned earlier.

danda

Reaction score
Thx, for now I've sent an inquiry to R&D asking if they can make up a set of their stage1 injectors. If so, that would be a brand new set with an extra performance boost at a reasonable price... fingers crossed.

danda

Reaction score
Update:

I installed new/reman injectors from Russ. These have new nozzle tips. I pop tested them first and they all tested right around 1800 and did not leak from the tips. yeah!! I noticed that 5 of the 8 actually did leak/weep a small amount from the threads of the cap/nut that holds the nozzles on the injector body. After consulting with Russ, I snugged these up a little bit more, re-tested and the leak went away. Maybe it would have been fine to install them as received, but this gave me extra peace of mind.

I reamed the carbon off the injector seats and brushed out the bores with 12 gauge shotgun brush.

I installed a new glow plug harness. It turns out that I ordered the stock harness when I actually need the turbo offset harness. whoops! Well, I was able to make it work, but its kinda ugly. Also, it's real cramped in there with the turbo and I was unable to get the old wiring harness out easily, so I just left it. Kind of a mess, but whatever.

I installed new hard line for injector #7 that I got off ebay. Fit perfectly. And new return lines/caps.

With everything back together, she is running again, and no obvious leaks, so that's a step forward at least.

I have not yet re-timed the injection pump.

Observations:

1. Exhaust now smells like burnt diesel, I don't notice the unburnt smell anymore.

2. The glow plug relay is quieter. It clicks once, stays on a bit longer than before, clicks off, and stays quiet. It used to click 2-4 extra times after WTS went off.

3. The truck started up this morning at 6:00 am after sitting about 12 hours. Took about 4 secs of cranking. (I was hoping for less). Once it fired, it stayed running, but had a quite rough idle until I gave it some throttle.

4. There was some blue/grey smoke this morning until it warmed up a bit. I gave it some throttle and it eventually cleared up. I had given it a little workout yesterday before shutting down, so was disappointed to see smoke this morning.

I guess the obvious next step is to re-time the IP.

I need a timing meter though. Unless there is someone nearby? South Bay area, CA.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If you are up for a trip to Costa Mesa I would be willing to help you time it. If so private message me with your phone number.

danda

Reaction score
If you are up for a trip to Costa Mesa I would be willing to help you time it. If so private message me with your phone number.
hey thanks Big Bart! If I lived in southern CA I'd take you up on it.

That's a bit far from here though and actually I ordered a DTI tech time, which is arriving tomorrow. (Plus the truck is non-op'ed right now.)

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
hey thanks Big Bart! If I lived in southern CA I'd take you up on it.

That's a bit far from here though and actually I ordered a DTI tech time, which is arriving tomorrow. (Plus the truck is non-op'ed right now.)
No worries, your are better off having a timing system, you will use it again and again. FYI every IDI owner should have one!

Most shops do not have one, so to get most shops to time your truck would mean loaning them one.

Here is some info on how to time your truck that might be helpful.

Last edited: