air intrusion back again with a vengeance

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I’m still getting some air in the higher revs can I get a run down of possible subjects besides fuel pump, return caps o rings and lines, fuel pick up in tank, selector valve, and WFS as these have been accounted for

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Very temporary going to the junkyard tomorrow to find a selector valve Becuase Napa wanted 700$ for one or I’m open to other ideas on how to get 2 tanks as one tank isn’t enough for me

No, don't buy a used one. It'll be bad too. The $700 Napa one is plug and play, they probably have a couple dozen and hope some people will actually pay that much for them.

The aftermarket ones everyone actually uses need a harness wired in, very easy to do. They cost about $70-100 depending where you buy it.

Here is the aftermarket one I got from AutoZone for the older style valve. It has a lifetime warranty (if you put filters between the tanks and the filter). You only need to use the harness and valve, not the switch that it comes with. The factory switch will work fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here it is installed (with pre-filters, purchased separately). You have to install it upside down from the original because the hose connections are reversed, so you'll probably have to drill new holes in the frame.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Very temporary going to the junkyard tomorrow to find a selector valve Becuase Napa wanted 700$ for one or I’m open to other ideas on how to get 2 tanks as one tank isn’t enough for me
Here's some thoughts. You can bypass the selector valve and then use an electric pump to pump fuel from the other tank into the one that you're running off of. You can install a Bronco tank to get more capacity with just one tank. You can do both, run off of one tank and use a Bronco tank.
One more thing. Your return caps/lines will not cause an air intrusion issue. They are after the injector pump and even running a steady stream of fuel out of one will not affect the way that your engine runs. Some more places to look for air intrusion. Your rubber fuel lines will eventually dry out and crack which will let air into your fuel system. There are small seals (o-rings?) on your plastic fuel lines sometimes these will let air into your fuel system. Somebody on here (Farmer Rock maybe?) said that one of his steel fuel lines along the frame had a small rust hole on top of it. No fuel would leak out, but it would let air in.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so for the bronco tank would i just need the tank, mount strap, pickup and sending unit?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Pretty much. I would replace the rubber part of the filler neck while you're doing the swap. If yours are original, the rubber is stiff now plus the place where it attaches to the tank is about 1/4" larger in diameter on the Bronco tanks. Mine was about 8 years old when I did the swap and it was still a SOB! A lot of the time (maybe all of the time) the straps for the Bronco tanks are too short to work with a truck. Buy some all thread and weld a piece to the threaded part of the mounting straps to act as an extension. There is supposed to be some cushions that go in between the tank and the straps. They keep the straps from rubbing through the tank. I cheated and cut some strips out of an old inner tube to use as he cushions. I don't know if any of the straps come with them or if you have to buy them separately. Mine didn't come with them so that's why I cheated. You also need to be sure to get a tank with the big hole for the sending unit if you want to run off of the Bronco tank. You'll probably have to modify your pickup to work since the Broncos with a carb didn't have a return line. I don't know if you can use a sending unit from one with EFI or not. If you're going to run on the front tank and pump fuel from the bronco tank into the front tank, you don't need a return line. It would also be a good time to "harpoon" the tank to make fill ups go easier. That is removing the factory internal vent line and making an external one. There's been discussions about that on here so I'm not going into details on that.

Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it possible for the fuel water separator to clog? i got a new fuel tank selector valve and verified it had flow but i cannot get any fuel to the pump
when i run a line from the tank directly to the pump i get perfect flow with clean diesel so i doubt clogged fuel line id prefer to not bypass the FWS if i dont have to

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
The FSV’s on Amazon are fine. That’s what I have. Less than $60 with prime. But I don’t know if the early ones are different.
I used the same fsv, it's been in a year and so far so good. I believe you recommended it to me actually.

Rock

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
is it possible for the fuel water separator to clog? i got a new fuel tank selector valve and verified it had flow but i cannot get any fuel to the pump
when i run a line from the tank directly to the pump i get perfect flow with clean diesel so i doubt clogged fuel line id prefer to not bypass the FWS if i dont have to
Austin if you have the factory FWS they are very problematic and most have deleted them by now. Your factory fuel filter will do some water separation. You can also put in a aftermarket one if yours is not working correctly. Many marine supply sites and stores sell them many auto parts stores can order them in. I run one in my boat but not my IDI. But my IDI stays on the pavement 95% of the time so dust and water are not big concerns for me. Maybe you have those concerns.

You could try by passing it to make sure it is the FWS.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I paid $70 for mine after a $12 off promo code for AutoZone with the lifetime warranty. If it ever goes bad, I just walk into any AutoZone and can get a replacement for free. It has gone up about $5 since then, $82 before a promo code, but that's still not terrible for the warranty.

Ignore the bad reviews 2 people left. One person complained that it's for gas only but not diesel (the instructions say gas & diesel) and the other person complained about the instructions/schematics it came with were hard to read and understand; mine came with 2 sets of basically the same thing on 2 different color sheets of paper and both were fine. I left a positive review a year ago, but I guess AutoZone didn't like it and never published it?