Air Horn Kit Install

ShrapnelFace

Reaction score
My stock horns were not working, so I ordered a Gampro 12V air horn kit from amazon. It's one of the ones with its own little compressor. Came with an inline fuse already installed and its own pre-wired relay. Seems like a pretty straight forward install. Just a couple of questions for anyone that has already done this install, or is just more electrically savvy than I am.

I believe the stock horns on my 1990 F250 were the problem, as I can hear the horn relay clicking when I press the button on the steering wheel, but no "honk". So when I go to install the air horn kit, do I use the wires that were going to the stock horns? Or do I need to pull all that and power the new horn from the pre-existing relay that's behind the glove compartment? Does it matter if I have two relays?

ShrapnelFace

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to delete my post, so I'll just reply to myself. Just plugged the new compressor into the original horn wire and followed the included relay instructions. Worked fine.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't figure out how to delete my post, so I'll just reply to myself. Just plugged the new compressor into the original horn wire and followed the included relay instructions. Worked fine.

Better to leave the post up for the next person with the same question to read. Thanks for the followup. How do you like the kit?

ShrapnelFace

Reaction score
Better to leave the post up for the next person with the same question to read. Thanks for the followup. How do you like the kit?

I don't truly know yet. Haven't finished the install. I wired everything temporarily for proof of concept. Pushed the horn button and the compressor engaged. But I then ran into some roadbloacks when actually mounting the horn and compressor. One of the connectors broke when I was about 95% done (and the hardware store was already closed for the day). Went yesterday and bought some new connectors. Can't see replacing one cheap connector and just trusting the other one. So I took everything apart and plan on starting from scratch this weekend when frustration levels are lower (coors light).

I put the relay near enough to the location of the stock horns so that the male end from the new kit will go in the female connector that I removed from the non-functioning horn. Worked fine until I started breaking s**t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online