1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

afFORDable build

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by JAKRANCH, Nov 30, 2019.

1. JAKRANCH

JAKRANCH Full Access Member

Hello all, wanted to start a build thread for my 85 6.9 super cab. I won't be able to actually make any forward progress till school gets over in December but I wanted to lay out previous modifications, and long term plans. 2019-08-18 15.49.47.jpg
    Unfortunately I got hit on the passenger side rear tire in September. Damage to the truck was a broken leaf spring, broken shock, sway bar end, and the bed is quite crumpled. Before this incident I had installed a zf5 and previous owners had installed a manual glow plug switch and a banks power pack n/a intake. Short term plans are to replace broken suspension parts and put on a flatbed. After that I have other vehicles to focus on. Long term plans include turbo/inter cooler and head stud install with appropriate gauges. As well as a Dana 60 swap(currently 3.55s when switching axles may change to 4.10s) with bigger tires and possibly lockers,custom front bumper, more comfortable seats, and possibly a rebuild on the zf5.
    Nothing too crazy, but i did want to write it down and start recording as i went along. Current progress since the wreck has been to inspect the frame and PB blaster all involved hardware several times. knock on wood it all comes apart easy when I finally get the professors off my back.

saburai and Jake60 like this.
  2. Ferd_Diesel

Ferd_Diesel Full Access Member

Looks like a clean truck. You get any insurance money for that wreck

3. JAKRANCH

Unfortunately no, had minimum coverage. Max coverage is enough to buy a new to me idi every couple years.

4. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

You may want to check the rear end for damage. Hopefully there is none.

5. saburai

saburai Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've had great success with multiple applications of PB Blaster over a few months. I've had bolts easily come loose that I thought would never budge. I'm talking about a liberal spraying every week or two for 3-4 months. Good luck with your build!

6. JAKRANCH

Over the last couple weeks progress has been made! Pulled donor leaf sprints off a buddies truck in the snow. Froze our butts off. Got the pass side tore apart and discovered the bushings O'Reilly's had listed were wrong. :backoffSo now I've got a set of Energy's due in a week from Amazon. Along with new u bolts hopefully she'll be good as new. 20200118_190849.jpg

7. dgr

dgr Full Access Member

At least you had a torch to keep you warm

riphip likes this.
  8. JAKRANCH

Before and after, test driven and going down the road straight!
    download_20200322_181233.jpg 20200321_213907.jpg 20200322_180213.jpg

New rear shocks, leaf springs (to the truck), and bolts and bushings. Upgrades for the immediate future are front shocks sway bar ends, and a flatbed. Wife reported stupid grin as I set the truck back on a functional axle for the first time in 6 months.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    chillman88 likes this.
  9. Ohiorandy

Ohiorandy Registered User

Cannot see damage on the inside of the bed but it looks like the outside panels could be straightened out.

10. JAKRANCH

No damage to inside, I agree i think the outside can be popped out

11. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

If not, you can buy a new bed side (skin) and put it on. It takes some time, but it's really not too difficult to do. I think the worst part is drilling out all of the spot welds.

12. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger blowing chunks

It is way too easy to change an entire bed, if you can find a clean donor. I have done it on the side of a hill.

Also, I am guessing you are looking to put a D60 in front. The rears on those trucks are D70, often with anti-slip installed on 4x4 setups.

13. JAKRANCH

I've got a crew cab I'm working on for a box bed, when I get it running I've got a flatbed to paint and put on the white truck. Eventually I'm gonna swap a d 60 under it, but right now my truck moneys going to my crew cab and what remaining suspension components I need and tires. Someday I might go for repairing the bed and do bull nose skins on it, but we often find ourselves borrowing my dads flatbed truck

14. JAKRANCH

Finished installing 01 or 02 super duty seats this evening. Super comfy definitely sit up higher. 20200401_155517.jpg 20200401_155540.jpg 20200401_155530.jpg
    20200401_155544.jpg
    20200401_165415.jpg Several of the seats are nasty and wouldn't clean up so I've got a couple of blankets to use for seat covers. Makes the Truck way More comfortable.