Advice on engine

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys think the one puffing cylinder could be timing? Does it effect these trucks that much? Or like Jesus freak said..maybe it’s just junk working it’s way out
I'm still a newb but mine would smoke pretty heavily until it was fully warmed up. Like 10 minutes or more.
Someone here suggested maybe a bad injector(s) that started working better when it got warmed up.
Since I had no idea of what was in there for injectors I bit the bullet and spent the $ on quality ones from one of the 4 recommended rebuilders here.
Smoke is gone and she runs much better overall.
If there's one thing I've learned here (I've learned a lot) it's to not skimp on injectors.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I noticed the rear intake manifold has rtv sticking out...there was a slight leak, after investigating I noticed the bolts were all loose. I’d rather not pull the turbo and injector lines...could I clean it up and squeeze some sealant into the crack in the photo?
I don't have a good answer to this. The intake doesn't need any RTV to seal it down. In fact, you can remove the intake completely and still run the engine. It's the valley pan underneath the intake that needs to be sealed. You may be able to make a leak stop by covering this area with RTV. There is no oil pressure here, just oil splash and crankcase gasses. Before you get completely involved with this area, take a good look right above that area. In your picture, the bolt that appears to be a mounting bolt for your turbo pedestal (directly to the right of the return cap) looks like it's pretty oily too. The oil leak may be coming from the turbo area. If that's the case, you may be removing the turbo whether or not you want to.
Be careful not to tear the oil pan gasket when you pop the back cover off to replace the main seal, or else you will get to replace that as well.
Do not use a gasket on the oil pan. Yes, all of the gasket sets that I've seen include them, but they will start leaking oil fairly quickly ( a few 10,000 miles). The factory didn't use a gasket here and the best bet is to use a bead of RTV here to deal the oil pan to the block.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use a gasket on the oil pan. Yes, all of the gasket sets that I've seen include them, but they will start leaking oil fairly quickly ( a few 10,000 miles). The factory didn't use a gasket here and the best bet is to use a bead of RTV here to deal the oil pan to the block.
That sir, is an interesting piece of information!

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took mine off again to clean it up and remove the rear main seal and cleaned off the old gasket. It looks like clear silicone was used for my pan. But then again it could also be clear rtv. I will use rtv.

My oil pan drain is stripped, hoping it’s just the screw.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I just bought a bronco for cheap because the kid had striped out the oil drain bolt. I had to pull the motor to to swap it. But she's all done. Just swap the pan when you're swapping motors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online