Adding pyrometer to 6.9

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you add the pyrometer sensor? I read that I should drill and tap the manifold just before the collector (flange where the exhaust manifold dumps into the exhaust system), but my machinist said unless it was bossed, you didn't have enough steel there to secure the threads. Thoughts?

Does the turbo manifold have it built in? If so, should I try to find some turbo manifolds?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is not a lot of load on the temp sensor. so the manifold is good. Many of us have done this. Just watchout for the chips that can get into the manifold; they can ruin the turbocharger. Use grease on the drill to catch the chips. Then vacuum out any stray chips.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There's really no difference in a idit exhaust manifold.
I like to do it with the engine running. Helps push everything out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the manifold on the bench so should be able to get all the chips out. Is there a particular brand sensor you recommend?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I drilled mine on the truck and just disconnected the cross over pipe before drilling and made sure to clean everything up real good after cutting threads. Hooked up exhaust and good to go. As far as brand we all have opinions but I like the guages that require a power source to function. Seem to read a lot quicker between high and low throttle. Just my .02

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you drill and tap the hole in manifold, using grease on the bit and tap to minimize contamination inside the manifold, clean with a magnet on a stick. Extend off the magnet which won’t fit they tapped hole, with a 16d nail, which will pickup like a vacuum. Sweep the magnetized nail back and forth inside the hole to collect all the chips. Clean & Repeat till nothing comes out.
I’ve done this to two different trucks and not hurt a turbo yet.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put mine right on cylinder 8 where there is a raised boss, I have the fitting thread in but no probe in this picture, was easy to drill and tap for 1/8” npt, sorry for the poor pic this is the only one I have of it.

Upper right of the picture, red circle.

You must be registered for see images attach

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is the location of the pyro on my 6.9 with an old Banks system. This is right before it goes into the hot side of the turbo housing.
Is this location ok or should I relocate the pyro to the exhaust manifold or weld a bung on the exhaust pipe just after the manifold connection?
Want it in a location it can be serviced if need be.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can run it there but don’t exceed 1050 degrees, if it’s on the exhaust manifold don’t go past 1200. That’s what banks has in their instructions for the kit

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I went with the pyro kit from "The Sensor Connection" but I think you can get it cheaper from Auber Instruments. It is a small digital gauge with red LEDs so it doesn't have that nice classic analog look--but it is easy to read and also has capability to wire up your own idiot light/alarm if you so choose. I wired a small alarm and it will sound at 1100 degrees so I don't have to watch the gauge constantly. Over a year and I'm very pleased with the setup.