AC compressor.. 6.2 to 6.5l

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped a 6.5l in to my Burb that had a 6.2l . Now I am trying to figure out what to do with the AC. The compressors are different and have different wiring. The 6.2's compressor only had 1 wire going to it, which I'm guessing is 12v..? The 6.5 compressor has more wires and I'm not sure how to run them... Also, what oil does the compressor use? While swapping engines the compressor leaked out a good amount of oil..

I know pretty much nothing about AC systems so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm guessing the 6.5 is serpentine and the 6.2 is v belt?
If possible, just swap them.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
What year is the 'burb and what year is the 6.5 engine? R134 oil is different and incompatible with R12 oil... your options would be to get some freon with the oil mixed into it, or just add a few ounces back into the compressor. It's always better to have a little more oil than necessary rather than not enough. You'll probably lose a few degrees of cooling capability with too much oil though.

And I'm not sure what the extra wires would be for on the 6.5 compressor... Unless it's for a sensor for low freon charge? The only wire it needs to work is the power wire and a ground, and the power wire goes through the low pressure switch, which is what tells the clutch to engage or not.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read the 6.5 compressor has more sensors :dunno . Sorry, yes the 6.5 is serp and the 6.2 was v belt. It's a 91 suburban with a 2001 6.5l . The Burb has stickers on it that say it is 134a compatible.

So the oil is added with the Freon when it is charged??

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If the 'burb is a 91 then it came factory with R134. Nothing for you to worry about with mixing freon or oil. It's all the same in your case.

The only extra sensor I can think of is the low charge that stops the clutch from engaging and prevents it from burning out. It's not necessary. You can use whatever compressor you choose, just figure out which wire is the power, and which is the ground and that's all you need to make it work in your 'burb.

The oil is added to the system before you charge it with freon. The freon carries it through the system, but doesn't actually mix with it. It's weird chemistry stuff that I don't completely understand. But add some extra oil back to the compressor, pull a vacuum on the system, and then charge it up. It will work fine.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ester oil is compatible with both refrigerants. BTW the year was 1993 when they changed to r134a.