ABS grease

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
greasing the wheel bearings through the ABS hole ?

I've read about this and may give it a try. Has anyone else done this to extend the life of the hubs?

My front right hub sounds "dry" (not damaged, no play)

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the rotor to get to the ABS sensor. Pumped about 20-30 times on each side, spinning the hub after every 5 times.

Hubs are nice a quiet, haven't gone for a drive yet but just spinning them in the shop I think they got greased.

Also soaked the locking hubs in ATF while doing each side....smooth as butter now.

ndnjames13

Reaction score
I know this is a really old thread but I was wondering if you could do something similar an a 97 f250 with the split axle on the front.

ndnjames13

Reaction score
Yea but I mean grease them without taking the hub apart. I know how but I'd prefer to be lazy if I can't then Ill just have to do it when it is a bit warmer.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea but I mean grease them without taking the hub apart. I know how but I'd prefer to be lazy if I can't then Ill just have to do it when it is a bit warmer.

Well you could, but you shouldn't. You're much better off getting the old crud out and all cleaned up before putting new grease in. The only reason this is a good idea at all is because it's "better than nothing" on the trucks that you can't pull the bearings apart to clean.

Can you... Probably. Should you? No.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can you? No. They don't have the abs sensor. Lol
Besides, best to reset the bearing preload anyways.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ndnjames13

Reaction score
Ok so I ask a question and do not get it answered. If its possible without jacking up the tire, removing the locking hub and taking the bearing apart. That was it nothing more. Never mind though I'll just do it that way because I can't get an answer.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can remove the hubs without jacking up the truck.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so I ask a question and do not get it answered. If its possible without jacking up the tire, removing the locking hub and taking the bearing apart. That was it nothing more. Never mind though I'll just do it that way because I can't get an answer.

Actually, your question was answered.

You asked if the bearings could be greased, without disassembly, using the ABS sensor hole, and the answer is no. Your axle does not have a unit hub, or front abs. You have the classic, bearings, oil seal, spindle nut, and lockout. The only way to re-grease this style hub is to jack up the truck, remove the wheel, brakes, rotor, lockout, spindle nut (using the proper, special socket, bearings and hub. Clean and re-grease the bearings, install a new oil seal, and reassemble in the reverse order. There’s no other way to grease them.

On the 99-Up SuperDuty trucks, like the original question was asked about, have a unit hub, which technically, are not greaseable or serviceable as individual components. You just remove the wheel and brakes, remove the 4 bolts holding the hub to the knuckle, and replace the unit. Someone figured out, you could add grease to the unit hubs, using the hole in the unit hub assembly, for the ABS sensor. An adapter is available to make this a bit easier, but you still have to remove the tire at a minimum, to access the sensor location. It’s tucked in on top. This still isn’t a proper servicing of the bearings, because you can’t remove the old grease. This does help to extend the life of the bearings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online