A XJ named Guinea One - Kubota kit develpoment

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Very neat project, thanks for the updates.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

SPMachining

Reaction score
Quickly reclocked the compressor housing tonight and took some more pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

Currently the motor is sagging about 3 inches.
Just documentation pictures of clearances.

Passenger side looking down on the axle.

Driver side looking down on axle

From the front ,steering in the way, motor sagging, and bobcat pan is approximately 3 inches thick. My new pan design will only be 1inch thick over the axle so i should have lots of clearance.

If i get more time tonight i am going to remove the frame motor mount and see if i can slide it back. But i think i am set on making new frame mounts alot lower and use the stock oem rubber motor mounts. But i may angle them at something like 30 degrees

Thanks
Ken

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As they said back in the 70s: "That looks die - no - MIGHT!"

Seriously, that looks like lots of clearance so far in most places and you have a plan for the places that are tight.

Awesome pics ;Sweet

SPMachining

Reaction score
Ok time for an update.
So I decided I needed to figure out my accessories before proceeding with my motor mounts. The power steering pump and oem motor mount perch were going to try to occupy the same space as I mention in my last update. I had hinted that the power steering pump assembly would be pretty close to a bolt in. Well yea that was wrong. It does nearly bolt up... until the motor is in and the bracketry is contact with the steering column shaft. Scratch that...

Time to make the power steering smaller. I decided to disassemble the pump and remove the reservoir.

There are two clips that you need to pull back the center and slide them off.

I had already removed them but i wanted pictures.

Once the clips are removed a light tug and the reservoir pulls off.

I will now take a 3/4 npt tap and tap the return port and be able to thread a 3/4 npt barb fitting. Similar to the one pictured.

Now the actual pump is very compact. Smaller then the actual pulley.

After I finished making the pump smaller I started trying to figure out mounting. I really wanted to keep the accessories near their stock location but as with any swap you most to where ever it works.

The NPR alternator is larger in diameter then the jeep alt. And with the vacuum pumps needs to up high for the oil return.

This is what i have come up with so far. I have mainly concentrated on the driver side. Even though i have steering shaft , master cylinder , exhaust/turbo, power steering, water pump outlet and alternator all on the driver side I still have more room then on the passenger.

I really wish the water pump spun counter clockwise. Would make the rest of this a breeze

Its hard to tell but things line up nicely. Using one of the stock power steering pump brackets, A single washer and the npr alternator mounted to the stock Kubota alternator boss things line up very close with the Toyota harmonic balancer.

I will get better pictures of alignment on Sunday, going paintballing for my sons 10th birthday tomorrow.

So a idler pulley here and there and the ac pump and i should be good to go. I am going to try to reuse the jeep ac bracket because it has a very nice assembly and an idler built in.

Hoping to accomplish mounting the ac bracket with the front motor mount bolt holes and possibly have to incorporate the ac mount into the passenger motor mount.

Now just trying to figure out how to route the belt

Thanks
Ken

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
killer.
wish I woulda caught this earlier,
I have a complete broach set. bought it at an old timers garage sale and havnt even used it yet.
keep up the good work.

SPMachining

Reaction score
killer.
wish I woulda caught this earlier,
I have a complete broach set. bought it at an old timers garage sale and havnt even used it yet.
keep up the good work.

I havent posted yet about it but decided not to broach. The wall thickness on one section is pretty small and going bigger i think would cause problems in the long run. I am just going to make a custom key

Thanks
Ken

SPMachining

Reaction score
Started on frame perches. Developing a bikt in set of motor mounts

Gussets have been added. I will get pictures of the fully welded frame perches soon. These were just mock up and tacked together

SPMachining

Reaction score
Yea. Im Getting excited. Almost finished my cnc plasma cutter. This sheet metal stuff will cutter like butter! Right now it is time consuming on the CNC. Next I need to find a nice brake. Just wait till you see the oil pan builds.

Ken

SPMachining

Reaction score
Yea it stopped raining for a couple days!!

Working on passenger side motor mount / AC pump.

This is mock up. To help position the AC pump. I am using the stock Jeep AC bracket because jeep used at least 3 different a/c pumps in the XJ but all bolted to the same place on the block.

Gusseting will be added and tie into the block above the motor mount and then also into the mounting bosses on the top of the intake. This should also make a nice mounting spot for a throttle bracket also.

Also playing around with exhaust manifolds and turbo placement. I do plan on low mounting my turbo on this XJ but will also see how a carrier manifold and high mount turbo fits.

Hopefully more this afternoon

Ken

SPMachining

Reaction score
After my initial passenger side motor mount mockup i made another that incorporates the ac pump. Now i will also use this mount to handle the throttle assembly. Its kind of an all in one bracket. Still mostly tacked together will remove and fully weld when i am really happy with it.

I have a tier 2 and tier 4 motor sitting here. There are differences in the front cover , oil filter setup, throttle assembly, and shutdown solenoid and manual lever. Everything I am developing fits both.

The only modification to the cherokee so far is these relay brackets. I will try to relocate the whole fuse block up thw wheel well 1-2 inches.

CAD at its finest

Remaking the powersteering bracket to incorporate the idler.
And anoth bracket to hold the second idler

Thanks
Ken