a little trouble with cruise...

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started my truck, it was about 35 degrees out. Let it idle for a minute And drove off. Took it real easy up to 55. Little white smoke on startup when I tapped the throttle. Got to 55 mph And set cruise. 3 seconds later the truck shook a little And went out of cruise. Tried it again And same thing. Waited for a minute And tried it again And it worked fine. Truck only shook until the cruise went off (2 seconds). Any ideas?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I assume this is on the 85 with the manual tranny. Did the speedometer burp or something. The only thing I can think of is the speed sensor didn't report back to the cruise correctly and it just dropped out. Might be worth checking the connections to make sure they are tight and clean.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was reading that there's a hidden gear in there for when the temp drops below some certain point. Can't remember what year it started.
But maybe cruise isn't supposed to work while in warm up mode.
A few too many variables and unlisted details.

Is it still doing it?

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading that there's a hidden gear in there for when the temp drops below some certain point. Can't remember what year it started.
But maybe cruise isn't supposed to work while in warm up mode.
A few too many variables and unlisted details.

Is it still doing it?

The hidden gear is in or around 2nd gear, it has been a while since I have played with some 5r's, but I believe it changes 2nd or 3rd, so it has no effect on cruise control at 55mph as you would be in 5th (aka 6th gear)

with the brief info you have spoke of here, I would say turbo, as in your VGT vanes where sticking while on cruise. It is a known issue with fords since the beginning, and I believe the is a TSB or a tech article on it for Ford Techs to figure out the issue.