A-block crack

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 6.9 in my Bronco is an A-block. It has the typical external crack by the block heater. I need to get this fixed, but am not sure how to get it done. I thought the only way to fix it was by having tapered plugs installed. I talked to a friend today who says that you can have it welded, but a hole needs to be drilled past the end of the crack so it won't crack farther. Anyone have any opinions on which method might be better?

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good welder could weld it but it has to be clean, inside and out and they have to use the right kind of rod...
I had my father in law weld an exhaust manifold on my old blazer... lasted for 6 years that I had it after

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first you find the crack, then at the end of the crack you drill a hole in it. you also drill a hole in it every inch til you get to the end of the crack. you grind a slot where the crack is and after that you put some dowel pins in the holes you drilled. then you take a nickel rod and weld up the crack. i was told by the last machine shop i worked at is you grind the slot on the crack half of the thickness of the block and lay a good weld in from there, no stitch weld, just a good ol straight weld.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard lock-n-stitch mentiond a few times here before. Seems pretty neat but never done anything with it myself.

Linky

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, but I'm going to take the easy way out. I got a deal on a complete truck with a 6.9 that I couldn't pass up. I'm going to buy it in a couple of weeks and put that engine in my Bronco. I'll still hold on to this one since I now know how to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online