99 just wouldnt start one day

donnie4720

Reaction score
i have bought a 99 7.3 and i cant figure out why it wont start. ive checked the fuel filter and replaced it. all fusses are good inside and out. the fuel pump isnt coming on when i turn the key but when hotwired it works great. Engine cranks great but just cant get it to fire. will run on starting fluid then dies again. oil was low so i topped it off. i know the truck was worked on a bit before i bought it but i dont know much else. gonna do a code scan and see what happens. any help is a blessing.
the guy i bought it from just went out one day to go to work in it and couldnt get it to start.
thanks
donnie4720

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump only runs for 20 seconds when you first turn the key on. Make sure the 30 amp fuse IIRC #33 (lower right corner) is good. Fuel heater will blow that if heater is shorted. New style heater IH 1831196C92.

Read the codes, OBDll will NOT read them, need an AE with Ford enhanced to read them or compatible.
UVCH connector may have become partially disconnected, have to look under the valve cover, drivers side most likely.
IDM may have water in it, you can take it apart, then reseal it.
Does your oil pressure come up when cranking? Need to have 500 PSI to fire injectors.
Does your tach indicate when cranking? Needs to turn over fast enough to build oil pressure. No tach reading, CPS could be bad, or connector pins corroded.
Is there any oil present on the IPR connector? If so could be bad.
Unplug IPR, PCM will revert to control pressure.
Look for chafed (shorted) wire(s) on harness that lays over the engine, drivers side.
http://cw-diesel.com/LuxSite/IPRInfo.htm
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/fbowl.php
All of these things will prevent a start. Hope this helps.

You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• engine%20parts.jpg
    engine%20parts.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 7
  • PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on crank sensor and oil. Remember: the powerstrokes use the engine oil to hydraulically pressurize the injectors. I've seen lots of no starts with powerstrokes because the owner didn't think changing the oil (or putting diesel specific oil in his diesel) was that important.

Good luck, OldBull has pointed out lots of good places to look for your problem.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
we have seen far to many aftermarket remote start and alarm systems shut vehicles down or create large power draws. when i say shut vehicles down, i mean just shuts the engine off while they are driving. people love those aftermarket remote start,alarm systems but they have a short life expectancy and the manufacturers know it, i'm sure they are all made in china. when ever we get a vehicle in the shop with a customer complaint of batter keeps going dead over night......99% of the time i find an aftermarket alarm, remote start or some aftermarket system. i know they paid a shop to install them but i have seen some very shady wiring from who know which shops. even seen wires draped across cowls loosely and actually laying on top of the motors as zip ties broke. too lazy to run through the fire wall and across the dash which of course adds to the shortened life span. so i would carefully remove all of that aftermarket equipment and repair any wires they T clipped into. need to buy AE scan system or forescan. if you buy a copy of forescan you can replace your stereo with a din 2 atoto and download the app to the radio. a BT connector on the comm port and you can display the data right on the radio face. you can monitor gagues and pull codes from the stereo. actually nice head units for the money.