99 F550 rear axle

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I bought a 99 F550. And the rear axle is spider cracked on the top(where the springs sit). It seeps oil. Do you all think i could just just "V" out the cracks, weld them up, then weld a 1/4" or 12/" plate over top? I really dont want to spend 1500 for a used housing

gatorman21218

Reaction score
if you can braze an oil pan I can see it being no problem welding the axle.

you might want to drill a hole at the end of each crack to keep it from spreading. dont know if that technique is needed here but i know its used on cast iron and aluminum

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Well i Pulled the axle. The top where the springs sit was in pretty bad shape. I took off the cast spring pads and found all the cracks.
I V'd them all out and welded them up. Ground it down flat and made a 4" x 5" x 1/4" plate to go over and beyond the repaired area. Welded it all the way around. then heated the cast spring pads to 800* and welded them to the plates. It came out pretty good. I am sure it is better than new

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well i Pulled the axle. The top where the springs sit was in pretty bad shape. I took off the cast spring pads and found all the cracks.
I V'd them all out and welded them up. Ground it down flat and made a 4" x 5" x 1/4" plate to go over and beyond the repaired area. Welded it all the way around. then heated the cast spring pads to 800* and welded them to the plates. It came out pretty good. I am sure it is better than new

Sounds like you did a great job on it. I had the move the spring perches on my rear axle and did the same, heated the pads, etc and it's been on for about 5 years now, they've seen 4 tons in the bed and 18000 pounds behind, so I'm pretty satisfied they are staying! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online