97 rebuilt psd engine into 94 DI.

Cranky

Reaction score
Found a 97 powerstrok E rebuilt engine. Want to put into my 94 so truck. Question is how much difference is there in electronics? Anything else to change I should know about. Any info would help because 97 is complete with new hpop and turbo for $5000.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Few things come to mind....

Is this 'rebuilt' top to bottom? Or just gaskets, paint and some new jewelry?

Find out if this engine has split-shot injectors, and if the older computer is compatible.

E-series vans use a different oil cooler. May or may not fit the F-series; not sure. Oil pan for that matter also....

Is the hpop a 99+? They're more aggressive and a direct swap.

A fresh turbo is nice, but I'd have bought something that spooled faster if I'd kept my PSDs.

I used this for reference a LOT....
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/fordd...49873DITDirectInjectionTurbochargedDiesel.pdf

Cranky

Reaction score
Thanks for the info u2slow. Well engine is a master rebuild.Has a 97 new hpo p New engine from bottom up turbo all from 97' truck and new exhaust manifolds.Guy says has rebuilt injectors but don't know if split -shot. Anyway engine will fit but don't know about electronics? My 94 is identical to 99 otherwise.Wants $5500 for it with warranty.What do you guys thinkthink?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info u2slow. Well engine is a master rebuild.Has a 97 new hpo p New engine from bottom up turbo all from 97' truck and new exhaust manifolds.Guy says has rebuilt injectors but don't know if split -shot. Anyway engine will fit but don't know about electronics? My 94 is identical to 99 otherwise. Wants $5500 for it with warranty.What do you guys thinkthink?

I am assuming you meant to write "My 94 is identical to 97 otherwise". I am assuming your 1994 is really a 1994.5 Powerstroke, please confirm you have electronics in your truck today (not an IDI).

I have a 1995, and it's got some "special" stuff. U2Slow is correct: 1997 has some updated injectors versus earlier, as well as what's considered to be a better IDM and IPR hardware. I upgraded my IDM, but I think they are pretty universal with regards to sticking a newer one in an older truck. The 1995s also have a different under valve cover harness, which you can upgrade to the newer versions which are supposed to be better. Mine is still working so it's still original.

The part numbers for the IPR are different between 1995 and 1997, so for that reason I would definitely swap the ECM to the correct year.

That's a pretty fair price if it's really all new, but I do agree with U2Slow in that all the 99 and up stuff is better hardware, especially if you get into the intercooled stuff.

If you are really concerned, got find the 1995 wiring diagram and compare it to the 1997 you are considering buying, but I think you are going to need at least another computer, maybe more.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Thanks for the info u2slow. Well engine is a master rebuild.Has a 97 new hpo p New engine from bottom up turbo all from 97' truck and new exhaust manifolds.Guy says has rebuilt injectors but don't know if split -shot. Anyway engine will fit but don't know about electronics? My 94 is identical to 99 otherwise.Wants $5500 for it with warranty.What do you guys thinkthink?

I guess I'm skeptical. What does a rebuilt longblock cost? (i.e. no hpop, turbo, injectors... because those would be the first 3 things I'd change). How reputable is the builder?

Sorry I don't have better advice - I replaced my PSD Fords with 1stgen Dodges a several years ago... said goodbye to a multitude of costs and frustrations.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm skeptical. What does a rebuilt longblock cost? (i.e. no hpop, turbo, injectors... because those would be the first 3 things I'd change). How reputable is the builder?

Sorry I don't have better advice - I replaced my PSD Fords with 1stgen Dodges a several years ago... said goodbye to a multitude of costs and frustrations.

Wow , thats the opposite of my experiences with the 7.3 powerstroke, quality oil and antifreeze and good service intervals, and the rest of the vehicle wears out around it. only reason they ever need rebuild is neglect. if I lived in BC I would have a powerstroke over a million km on by now(maybe 2) .
here in Ontario everything rots away before you can wear it out, haven't seen a 1st generation Dodge cummins around here for a long time > same fate.

heui injectors and hpop will last as long as the rest of engine if you change oil right. I do 10,000km oil/filter quality only.

oops sorry, not meaning to highjack.

Cranky

Reaction score
Well thanks everyone for info. The rebuild is a 97'. Need to find out what's all done to that new motor.Guy put new injector pump New hp oil pump and new exhaust manifolds.It is a rebuild from jasper with a warranty year left. I will update you guys tomorrow.

Cranky

Reaction score
Well back again after the flu.The rebuilt long block is a jasper.Wants $5500 for it with the rebuilt injectors and hpop. Has 15 months warranty left.He has 97 powerstroke this engine came out of,he'll give me ecm etc. to me. I just don't know about those jasper rebuilds.Have you guys heard good or bad with them?Guy that's gonna install it not sure about electronics swap,says maybe he'll rebuild it.What's your guy's take on it.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO if it was me I'd find a running used 7.3 and toss it in there. They can be had around these parts for $500-1500 and then you'd have another $4k for repairs.

If you go the used route, be sure to inspect the oil pan or even replace it while you have it out of the truck.

Cranky

Reaction score
Well greenskeeper not many engines around here for that. Don't know what you're getting. Another 4 grand to rebuild at least so we'll see.Gotta check compression etc. Yet to see maybe just rings bearings. When I get test done decide best route to go then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88