97 Ram A/C discharge

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it is frowned upon and trust me I always try to do my part with the Earth.. I've gotta discharge my A/C system for dismantle.. if I connect a refrigerant fill valve to the low side without a bottle on the other end, will it remove all of the refrigerant? Or does it just make less of a "kaboom!" Hahah yeah, I was replacing a radiator fan on my grandmother's 92 Saturn when I was 17... well I didn't know what I was about to remove and it happened to be an AC line (not sure if it was a high or low, assuming it was a high) well I was deaf for several minutes after that lol.

Rug_Trucker

Reaction score
Dupont's patent was running out on R12 so it became a danger to the enviroment. they claimed it cause ******...........okay may the ****** part is incorrect. The other part is.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Have a old fridge/freezer compressor laying around? You could rig one of those to pump it into a canister. It's really a pain trying to save it, without a recovery machine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa sells recovery bottles also a local AC shop will have a few spairs laying around and a 9 dollar vac pump from hf and a cheap manifold set should do it or just pull the Schrader valve and walk away

Also 97 it should be 134a

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a old fridge/freezer compressor laying around? You could rig one of those to pump it into a canister. It's really a pain trying to save it, without a recovery machine.

I dont and definitely no space to pickup a freebie on craigslist, that does sound interesting however

Napa sells recovery bottles also a local AC shop will have a few spairs laying around and a 9 dollar vac pump from hf and a cheap manifold set should do it or just pull the Schrader valve and walk away

Right on, I'll look into it, if not I'll have to go the manual route.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

Could you link the bottle you speak of? It's not the bottle the refrigerant comes in? And not the internal tank for the machine is it?
Also are you saying use the vacuum pump to draw it out and pump it into said tank?

Is this truck in a junkyard? Maybe on a trailer?

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is in my garage and de-insured ready to be body swapped. We just shortened the frame Saturday to fit my 73 Travelall.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I see. As a last resort option, run the charge line from your manifold gauge outside and just barely crack the valve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online