97 PSD glow plugs

BamKat

Reaction score
Hello fellow diesel lovers!! Im have a problem changing my 2nd to last glow plug!!! All the others went fine... Man!!

What do you all suggest?? The glow plug came apart and is stuck. And yes it's the one in the very back. I was sent over here by ssd.com and when im not under this hood, I will introduce myself later. Thanks!!

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh boy. Well try taking a magnet to pick up those washer looking pieces.
Then try griping the piece with some needle nose vise grips. Also spray something like some pb blaster on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BamKat

Reaction score
Oh boy. Well try taking a magnet to pick up those washer looking pieces.
Then try griping the piece with some needle nose vise grips. Also spray something like some pb blaster on it.

I tried 2 different magnet sticks but neither worked....I then used a small pic to try and fish them out however, they are gone now and I cant see them anymore. Great... I sprayed some penetrating lubricant, corrosion X, and I only have regular needle nose. No luck yet but im still trying.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if need be, remove the injector, and rocker arm assembly.
DO NOT LOOSE THE BALL BEARING!!!
if the top of the remaining glow plug has already passed the point where you cannot see it anymore, try rotating the piston to TDC (which should have been done in the beginning of the issue)

DO NOT USE THE STARTER! BREAK OUT A 15/16 SOCKET AND A 1/2" BREAKER BAR TO ROTATE THE ENGINE.

if the plug has dropped into the cylinder, it will not completely rotate, and call for removing the head.

this will require new head bolts. PSD's do use torque to yeild bolts.

BamKat

Reaction score
if need be, remove the injector, and rocker arm assembly.
DO NOT LOOSE THE BALL BEARING!!!
if the top of the remaining glow plug has already passed the point where you cannot see it anymore, try rotating the piston to TDC (which should have been done in the beginning of the issue)

DO NOT USE THE STARTER! BREAK OUT A 15/16 SOCKET AND A 1/2" BREAKER BAR TO ROTATE THE ENGINE.

if the plug has dropped into the cylinder, it will not completely rotate, and call for removing the head.

this will require new head bolts. PSD's do use torque to yeild bolts.
How do I know when it is at TDC? I have never had to do this before.

I can still get pliers on top of glow plug however, It will not budge. Im about to go ahead and pull out injector so I can have a little more room.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after you pull injector, take one of those small plastic straws thats on the end of a can of carb cleaner or WD40, rotate till you can see the piston, touch the piston with a straw and then rotate it till its all the way up.

dont put your eyes over the hole and turn it over, residual oil from the injector pull will squirt out.

BamKat

Reaction score
Well.. I'm glad I took the injector out because the top part of the glow plug was hiding under it. I did crack the top plastic part of the injector.... Changing the glowplugs has turned into a nightmare! I squirted some more penetrating oil on the plug and I'm going to let it sit over night and give it another shot in the morning.... I will also buy some vice grip needle nose tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamKat

Reaction score
after you pull injector, take one of those small plastic straws thats on the end of a can of carb cleaner or WD40, rotate till you can see the piston, touch the piston with a straw and then rotate it till its all the way up.

dont put your eyes over the hole and turn it over, residual oil from the injector pull will squirt out.

Thanks! I will do that in the morning.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, stuck plugs suck on these.
i wouldnt even attempt to use heat on the head , may loosen the adhesive on the injector cup.

vicegrip needle nose is your best bet... DO NOT CHEAP OUT...BUY THE BEST PAIR YOU CAN
the glow plug is swollen, i dont think penetrating oil will help, but it certainly cannot hurt.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also, be forewarned.
make sure the piston is at TDC when you re-install the injector, if not, that oil i spoke about earlier can hydrolock the cylinder and perhaps bend a rod...

one think i learned, just for safty measure, i always rotate the engine 2x before i fire it up after swaping injectors..

dont wanna find out theres an issue after you cranked it with the gear reduced starter.

BamKat

Reaction score
yea, stuck plugs suck on these.
i wouldnt even attempt to use heat on the head , may loosen the adhesive on the injector cup.

vicegrip needle nose is your best bet... DO NOT CHEAP OUT...BUY THE BEST PAIR YOU CAN
the glow plug is swollen, i dont think penetrating oil will help, but it certainly cannot hurt.

You are right about that!! This sucks. I was able to change everyone of the glowplugs with no problems at all. That was my 2nd to last one to do and I guess it decided it wanted to ruin my weekend!!!! Lol. Thank you very much for you guy's info!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
show us a picture of the other glow plugs, or tell us what kind they are....

edit: appears to be stock.

BamKat

Reaction score
show us a picture of the other glow plugs, or tell us what kind they are....

edit: appears to be stock.
I can do that tomorrow, im already at home now. Im doing the work at my dads shop... I just bought this truck back in may and I dont know what all has been done to it.

All of the wires on the harnes were all melted. I bought all new ones! I already completed the passanger side now im stuck...on the drivers side.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure your valve cover gaskets are not dorman,
i used a set, lasted 4 months

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also after putting the injector back in, rotate engine without the glowplug in to make sure you got all the oil/fuel out.