97 Econoline 7.3 pcm compatibility

joeblack5

Reaction score
Howdy folks, I am trying to read up on compatibilty of pcm over the years.
Many threads but hard to find the answer I am looking for.

My van is has no chips or tunes. It is getting older and I like to have a spare pcm with me. Got one from a 2001 Econoline from the junkyard. The vans never ran electric fuel pumps as far as I know. Always automatic , never intercooler.
I read something about different wiring or pinouts but hard to find what exactly.

My question:
Can I do any damage by plugging this newer pcm in my old van?
New # 1C2F-12A650-AFE. With a code HP14. No clue what this all means.

My old 97 one gives kam error code but works fine.

I like to have a spare to use in mainly to rule out a defective pcm in case I get stuck on the road.

Any advise?

Thank you,
johan

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
completely different transmission, sensors, dash, etc. Won't work.

What is the 4 digit box code on your existing PCM. There may be substitutes that will work besides an identical box code. The main differences being cali emissions, cold weather, etc.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if this helps but 96/97 f series are job specific. econolines are different , had a 2003 e350 and I understood all the e series with the 7.3 powerstroke were the same. my e350 had a trailer tow tune and installed and I lost my tuner but i am keeping all the computers anyhow.

Attachments

• DSC03078.JPG
    DSC03078.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 1

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's several spread sheets floating around these sites with all the PCM codes and what they were installed in. The easiest thing to do is to find your PCM in the truck and take a picture of the label that is on one edge of the connector or on the tear tag on the rear of the PCM. Being that yours is '97 it's most likely a DPC-315 with some programming code like BCT0 also shown. This isn't true for all years, but my understanding is that any DPC-315 will work because supposedly all '97 vans had AB injectors which are split shot (I think you can look on your valve cover sticker and verify what's in yours). There were PCMs that had different calibrations for different things like maybe Ryder wanted something specific for their vans and a company called Road Speed LTD got their own calibration as well. Anyway, as a spare if yours is DPC-315, any other DPC-315 should work. The transmission may not behave the same as yours or maybe it's speed limited to 55mph but it should run the truck and shift it with no problems or potential for damage. Also, should you decide to have your PCM rebuilt, I highly recommend a place in Tennessee called Diesel Technology of Chattanooga. They are specialized in powerstrokes and they stress test every PCM and IDM they work on, not just fix the problem it was sent in for. I just got mine back from them and they found a fixed several additional problems I wasn't aware of. They also have the program to solve the KAM error many of these PCMs have.

It's also good to have a spare IDM. All the IDMs from 94-2003 are the same. Getting a later one could be better but they all work the same.

Last edited:

joeblack5

Reaction score
Hello all, thank you for the help pointing me in the right direction and what to look for.. I will wait till I find an e 350 diesel in the scrap yard .

Johan

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, thank you for the help pointing me in the right direction and what to look for.. I will wait till I find an e 350 diesel in the scrap yard .

Johan
If you determine the box code on your PCM, there are lists of compatible PCMs that you can swap it with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88