96 van fuel filter replace

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've got a friend here with a 96 dodge B2500 van with a 318 multiport fuel injection and we were wondering if it is at all possible to change the fuel filter on that thing? The parts catalog over at Advance says non servicable, and everywhere else I've checked, I haven't been able to find a part number for a fuel filter, it appears to be a part of the fuel pump assembly in the tank, but when I looked at the online manual that autozone has , it shows a way to take the top of the thing apart and put it back together....I think, it didn't make a whole lot of sense, but it would be mighty nice to be able to change out the fuel filter instead of having to change out a $200 pump assembly.

Thanks---------Robert

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the van has high mileage its a good idea to replace the whole unit anyways because being a dodge it will crap out. i've replaced plenty of pumps in dodge/jeeps, etc. and have replaced the units and not just the filters. you can replace the filter but like i said the pump most likely will fail.Notes

Fig. 50 Fuel Filter & Pressure Regulator Assembly

Fig. 51 Fuel Filter & Pressure Regulator Assembly Replacement

Relieve fuel system pressure as outlined in "Fuel System Pressure Relief" under "Precautions."
Drain and remove fuel tank, then remove fuel filter/regulator assembly by twisting and pulling straight up. Do not pull filter/regulator more than three inches from fuel pump module.
Remove snap ring securing tube to filter/regulator then slide plastic tube down fuel tube to clear fuel tube clamp.
Cut off old fuel tube clamp and discard, then slip fuel tube from filter/regulator and remove filter/regulator from fuel pump module.
Reverse procedure to install. Use a new plastic fuel tube clamp.

this is according to alldata.

© 2010 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88