96 F250 PCM IDM Question

TheRagnarok

Reaction score
So I have an opportunity to pickup a wrecked 96 F250 7.3 PSD for $600 cash plus my old Chevy 76 C30 farmtruck.
The only catch is that the PCM and IDM have already been sold for parts.
I am wanting to put this into my 94 F350 crew cab w/ 7.3 IDI, but I would need to source the PCM and IDM.
My local parts yard has a few Super Duty 7.3 PSDs, my question is will the PCM and IDM work in an OBS PSD?
I can do the rewiring/flashing myself.
Thanks for looking.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
IDM is interchangeable for all 7.3’s from 94 to 03. The newer ones are slightly better but all function the same. I pickup any IDM I see if cheap.

On the PCM the OBS one is pinned differently than SD. I would speak with Diesel Technology of Chattanooga, he will be able to tell you which ones physically fit, and which ones can be reflashed to match your truck. There are many. Most can be reflashed to work, some can’t.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have an opportunity to pickup a wrecked 96 F250 7.3 PSD for $600 cash plus my old Chevy 76 C30 farmtruck.
The only catch is that the PCM and IDM have already been sold for parts.
I am wanting to put this into my 94 F350 crew cab w/ 7.3 IDI, but I would need to source the PCM and IDM.
My local parts yard has a few Super Duty 7.3 PSDs, my question is will the PCM and IDM work in an OBS PSD?
I can do the rewiring/flashing myself.
Thanks for looking.

As stated the IDMs are interchangeable.

The problem is going to be finding out what box code the now removed PCM had. There are ones that are compatible with each other....and being an OBS there were less "variations" to the PCM box codes.

You're probably going to have to swap the entire wiring harness from the donor vehicle since your IDI can run on literally 1 wire powered by 12v

TheRagnarok

Reaction score
So I bought the last Re-manufactured MasterPro ECC2526 96 F250 manual PCM on O'Reillys for $212 Shipped.
Sourcing an IDM will be next and then I must find a good manual trans.
I have an E4OD in the F350 and was wondering how complicated would it be to wire the auto harness into the manual PSD harness?
I found a ZF5 for $500 but it is a 430 miles drive.... may end up doing that, hahaha.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought the last Re-manufactured MasterPro ECC2526 96 F250 manual PCM on O'Reillys for $212 Shipped.
Sourcing an IDM will be next and then I must find a good manual trans.
I have an E4OD in the F350 and was wondering how complicated would it be to wire the auto harness into the manual PSD harness?
I found a ZF5 for $500 but it is a 430 miles drive.... may end up doing that, hahaha.

If you're going from auto to manual, it's probably 1 wire for the reverse lights that you'd have to splice in. The auto harness connections can just sit there connected to nothing.