94-98 Upgrade plan

Discussion in '7.3L Powerstroke Diesels' started by sarrettblack, Aug 21, 2017.

1. sarrettblack

sarrettblack Registered User

I have owned multiple diesel trucks, but know relatively little about performance parts so I was hoping to get some guidance. I plan on buying a 94-98 powerstroke and will initially have a performance part budget of $10k - $30k. After the initial budget I plan to continue purchasing more parts as needed. I am trying to determine what needs to be purchased and in what order. My primary goal is speed/acceleration. Very irregularly will I need to tow or haul anything relatively heavy. The truck would be 4wd and auto trans. The one thought I had was to purchase the transmission first since I will need it eventually and it is likely to be the most expensive purchase. Thoughts?

2. Dieselcrawler

Dieselcrawler i pooped today! Staff Member

yep start with upgrading the trans to whatever power your planning.

3. Mike_42

Mike_42 Kid Mechanic

If you plan on dumping that much, get your trans built or rated for 5-600whp. I would start with air first, get a nice turbo setup going, 4" CAI, intake manifold? get a bigger DP/exhaust not sure on aftermarket headers. A solid tuner and then start on the fuel side.

4. greenskeeper

greenskeeper Full Access Member

I dunno, buy a car that's 4000 or so lbs lighter and save on weight? Never understood the notion to make a work truck "fast":

5. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Go regular cab short bed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

6. threegenpowerstroke98

threegenpowerstroke98 Registered User

Check out swamps website. They have performance kits for the engine side. as for transmission. would do that first. Traction/ladder bars. If you're an 250 solid front axle swap. Either a dana 60 from a same year 350 or a coil sprung from an 05 up. Gearing may be something you want to look at too. go check out powerstrokearmy, still lots of guys going big with the 7.3s over there.

7. OLDBULL8

OLDBULL8 Good Morning Ya'll. Supporting Member

With that kind if money, I would buy a 99.5 to a 2002 F250 short bed SG cab. Put a tuner in it first, then see how fast and acceleration it has.