94.5 f350 7.3 powerstroke. dies when hot.

Dallas kovach

Reaction score
I was on my way home Saturday from work and blew big white cloud of smoke from exhaust then died on highway. got it to the shoulder. ended up starting up about 15-20 minutes after cooling down a little bit. was driving fine the whole day. I 168k on the dash. just replaced oil, cps,new starter batteries, icp sensor. changed fuel filter. but smells like alot of diesel that I've never smelled before. it gets about 1/4 warmed up to operating temp then it dies. any help would be appreciated. a guy named Trevor with a Idi mentioned this site to me and said it would be the best place. I'm a little new to diesels. have owned this one for about 4 months now I can find my way around just need a little guidance as to what direction to look in.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
When it dies, check the fuel bowl level.
Also when it dies, does the wait to start light work correctly?
Check it for any codes?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dallas kovach

Reaction score
When it dies, check the fuel bowl level.
Also when it dies, does the wait to start light work correctly?
Check it for any codes?

it has fuel. and fuel is clean just change filter about a week ago could my ipr cause this issue? I also noticed a slight leak from the hpop gasket

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on check codes also if you can get your hands on a scanner that can live feed data check your icp while driving and at idle I just did a hpop on a 02 that ha the same symptoms and would start cold and build pressure but a it warmed up the icp would drop and the truck would die

Dallas kovach

Reaction score
X2 on check codes also if you can get your hands on a scanner that can live feed data check your icp while driving and at idle I just did a hpop on a 02 that ha the same symptoms and would start cold and build pressure but a it warmed up the icp would drop and the truck would die
I have no obd1 scanner and it doesnt have any lights on and it wouldn't tell me anything useful anyways for obd1. any other options??

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Technically it is obd2, but the powerstrokes use a special "language," so not all readers will work. But in 97 or so they have a tsb for a software flash that would "wake up" normal obd2 language.
There is a method to use the eec(?) Port under the hood. But I don't have it handy.

Dallas kovach

Reaction score
Technically it is obd2, but the powerstrokes use a special "language," so not all readers will work. But in 97 or so they have a tsb for a software flash that would "wake up" normal obd2 language.
There is a method to use the eec(?) Port under the hood. But I don't have it handy.

okay well when you find out please let me know it would be helpful.
going to get a new ipr today do you think that could be my issue? the silonoid and connecter were rusty.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wouldn't see it causing the smoke, but can cause a no start.
Far as the codes, do a Google search.

Dallas kovach

Reaction score
I was on my way home Saturday from work and blew big white cloud of smoke from exhaust then died on highway. got it to the shoulder. ended up starting up about 15-20 minutes after cooling down a little bit. was driving fine the whole day. I 168k on the dash. just replaced oil, cps,new starter batteries, icp sensor. changed fuel filter. but smells like alot of diesel that I've never smelled before. it gets about 1/4 warmed up to operating temp then it dies. any help would be appreciated. a guy named Trevor with a Idi mentioned this site to me and said it would be the best place. I'm a little new to diesels. have owned this one for about 4 months now I can find my way around just need a little guidance as to what direction to look in.
I just changed the ipr and now it starts and runs but dies in less than 30 seconds.