93 F350 IDI Factory Turbo Down Pipe

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guy's
I would appreciate any and all input. I have recently purchased a 93 F 350 and I'm trying to get her in shape. I have a downpipe that is leaking. I'm trying to get it out with as little trouble and damage as possible. I do have a Banks 3 inch downpipe to use as a replacement if I need to, but I hate to destroy the firewall. I have tried to search the archives for information. I'm not seeing a lot of useful material. Anybody know of a good write up or could someone give some pointers.
I have a 1995 7.3 Powerstroke that I installed a diamond eye Downpipe on and swore it wasn't worth the damage to the truck. In this case, the original pipe is leaking so it either needs repair or replaced.
Thanks in advance, Mike

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike, hate to say it but the banks will probably be just as bad as the psd downpipe if not worse. Something I’ve learned to do is to put a jack under the passenger side front cab mount and with a block of wood put pressure on the end of the bolt protruding through the mount. This will take some of the weight off that side of the cab and give you more room to work with. If that doesn’t work then you may need to take the trans mount loose and lower the back of the trans to completely get it out.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You'll also probably have to have a serious discussion with your firewall as well. It's not destroying it, just getting it to see things your way.:Thumbs Up

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did put a little more effort into the removal of the original down pipe this evening. I removed the cross member for a little more wiggle room and used a jack under the trans to raise and lower the engine and trans as needed.
I had that discussion with the firewall. always hate to cut and bend a perfectly good firewall. Banks down pipe is installed. Tomorrow night we get it hooked to the 3" pipe which feeds the flowmaster which will exit the original 3" tail pipe.
That was a good suggestion from Thewespaul. I didn't even think about raising the cab for clearance, but that's why I'm asking for input.
Thanks for the reply's, Mike

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Banks down pipe has a 1/4" NPT collar welded to it near the turbo. The idea being a pyrometer port. Seems
to me it should go in a exhaust manifold or one of the up pipes. What do you all think?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad that helped ya, and yes you want your pyro as close to the explosions as possible to get a good reading