'93 7.3 NA IDI loss of power @ 2000rpm runs rough

TGH1117

Reaction score
Hi guys, Ive got a 93 7.3 non turbo idi. I have noticed a fuel leak coming out of the injection pump where it meets the timing gear cover and has suffered from cold start issues. The truck is just now running extremely rough and excessive white smoke especially over 2000 rpm and barely enough power to drive it anywhere. sounds as if one injector is not working correctly but I cracked each one individually and noticed no distinguishable difference in how the motor sounded from one to the next. they all seemed to negatively affect the sound of the motor equally which is making me think the injectors are fine and the leaky pump is my culprit. I presumed the leaky pump was only responsible for my cold start issues prior but could this be causing my engine to run so poorly now? if so, am I able to pull the pump, reseal it and replace it to fix the leak? new fuel and air filters recently done as well. Need my truck back asap for work. thanks in advance.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re leaking fuel from the front of the pump at least one of the three cup seals has failed on your driveshaft, there’s not a lot you can do about that but have the pump rebuilt.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online