92 Factory Stereo Removal

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to destroy my dash in a minute.

Factory stereo won't come out of my 92, nothing works on it anyways most of the time. It has the 4 holes on it to release it, left side I can release every time. Passenger side holes do nothing. How do I get this out of here without destroying the dash?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 93 fought me for nearly an hour, then came out with a cracked outer housing.
using the stupid "take me out tools!"
***** more fomoco *****!

gandalf

Reaction score
I changed out an after-market Panasonic for another after-market Panasonic on my '92. That was several years ago. I seem to recall much the same problem. I was at the point of considering a wrecking bar to pry that mother out. Ultimately I found that it had a short little piece bolted to the back end, sticking up, making it impossible to move the radio through the opening. I had to go in through the glove box opening to unbolt that little thing, and then the radio slid right out.

Reaching the back of the radio wasn't easy, let along reaching it with a small open end wrench. All I had to do was break the tension on the nut. What you need, really, is an arm with 5 joints below the elbow. A skinny arm at that.

Will your's be the same? Only maybe.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I ended up getting it prying the corners with a screwdriver.

Now the new question, does a 92 have any under dash wire that would trigger only in reverse? I didn't even realize this head unit came with a backup camera, and I have it hooked up but have to turn it on with a toggle switch. I have the camera powered off the reverse light feed in the rear of the truck so it's not on all of the time, but I don't have a good place under the dash that I'm aware of to trigger the head unit to know the truck is in reverse.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the cable for the camera has a wire in it to give the head unit the reverse signal. Usually you would tap into the reverse lights at the back of the vehicle. There is usually a red (rev pos) wire and a black (neg) wire at the camera end of the wiring, and a short 6” or so wire at the head unit end of the camera wiring that you connect to the reverse input of the head unit.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's too late, but I was able to get mine by letting the glove box down and pulling the little keeper thingy from there. I had the same problem, passenger side wouldn't let go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online