92 7.3 idi major power loss

wildlifoodin

Reaction score
hello. i'm crossing the country east to west and have had many problems that don't seem related, until....? Since leaving Appalachia i've experienced power loss that wasn't entirely fixed by replacing the filters and the lift pump. I changed out some older lines and clamps, found a 5/16 hose barb coming outta diesel filter housing that i replaced with 3/8. And then kept driving. The the alternator went out and i replaced it. The flats of the midwest were fine to drive through but getting to wyoming, i have power loss climbing but it wouldnt stall and die like before. I've been driving on diesel cause the veg acts up too. Now, the fuel filter light comes on when going up hills and going over 60. I changed the diesel filter and its still happening, maybe getting worse. Any good tests to see if its the lift pump vs. filter housing? thanks for your time.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The filter housing is not going to cause that issue, more than likely your new lift pump isn’t up to par, or the filter is clogged again. Check the soft hose near the frame that goes into the lift pump, that often goes soft from veggie oil and could be sucking shut. It’s also possible your selector valve is partially clogged, and you need to blow air back to the tank to clear it.

wildlifoodin

Reaction score
yeah that would make sense as it seems to get worse as the engine gets hotter, the hose softens up. with the filter housing i was potentially concerned that i bumped something putting the alternator in. any tips on replacing that line (like how do i keep it from flowing out)? anyone have opinions about hose clamps and the uneven amount of pressure put onto hose barbs? could there be a vacuum leak going into lift pump? thanks, i'm new to this forum and relatively new to working with vehicles.