92 7.3 idi i would like to get some smoke out of my truck

IDIotbobby

Reaction score
i just bought this truck and i would like to get it to smoke a little bit. i know that you can up the fuel but is there any other methods to get it to smoke? would someone mind explaining to me how to up the fuel? ive herd that if you dont do it properly you can really screw up you truck, that is the last thing i want. thanks

Last edited:

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Why would you want your truck to smoke?

It's a waste of fuel and ****** people off in traffic.

IDIotbobby

Reaction score
well i could handel not wasting fuel but ******* people off in traffic wouldnt bother me. i mean your already stuck in traffic so your allready pissed. haha but i rarely venture into large cities or busy sections of interstate so i rarely get stuck in any form of traffic unless your talking about being stuck behind grandma and grandpa on sunday. also i started this thread for help getting my truck to smoke, not to be called a retard for wanting it to smoke. i guess my name says it all though IDIotbobby. ha

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crank the fuel up all the way and run it till the pistons melt, wich wont take long.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like a little smoke just so people know my trucks a diesel despite not having a whistle. Rolling coal is a waste and doesn't help the argument towards diesel power and will only make people prefer gasssers :puke: I found the best combination for smoke without ******* people off is to have a happy well maintained fuel system with the stock settings. Regular driving you might see a little puff here and there. Full throttle will leave a little haze, and under a load like pulling trailers will leave a small haze whenever accelerating. It lets people know your a diesel but doesn't **** the off. To answer your question, crank the fuel screw up and and run it hard rolling coal till the pistons melt.

IDIotbobby

Reaction score
G. W BUFFALO, yah i really dont want to screw the truck up though. thanks for the tip. if you have any other usefull tips be sure to let me know

IDIotbobby

Reaction score
Jake IN let me rephrase my oringinal post. what i ment to say was i would like a little smoke, how do i do it? i completely agree with you i dont want i constsant stream of black smoke but i definatly want people to know im driving a diesel.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jake IN let me rephrase my oringinal post. what i ment to say was i would like a little smoke, how do i do it? i completely agree with you i dont want i constsant stream of black smoke but i definatly want people to know im driving a diesel.

My truck didn't smoke at all when i first got it, shortly after my injector pump bit the dust. The new injector pump would give me a little smoke when ever my converter locked and i would give it some throttle at low RPM's. When i put new injectors in a little while later and advanced my timing a bit it now smokes how i like it, and has good power.

Below is a video of my truck on the dyno and also shows how it smokes under load. Skip to the 2:33 point, that's where you can see the smoke the best.

http://youtu.be/YCH1HsWKALU

If however you want to still turn up the fuel here is a article that tells you how. IF YOU DECIDE TO DO THIS INSTALL A PYROMETER FIRST!!!!

http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Injection%20pump%20adjustment%20article.htm

Last edited:

IDIotbobby

Reaction score
im pretty sure that ill be needing new glow plughs and injectors befor winter sets in. by the way your diesel ranger is awesome. i really wanted one more than the truck i have now but there really hard to find. what is a pyrometer?

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is a pyrometer?
A pyrometer (or EGT gauge as some people call it) is a tool that consist of a gauge and thermocouple. The thermocouple is a little probe that is generally installed in the exhaust manifold near the back cylinders (they run the hottest) and then the thermocouple is connected to your gauge which then shows what temperature your exhaust gas is (which is pretty much the same as combustion temp). 1200 degrees F is generally frowned upon as that is when the aluminum pistons get tired of holding there shape and generally take on a different shape in other words...they melt. Do some googleing and there is loads of info out there on these things.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Another how to make it smoke thread...nice.

FYI, there is a search function on here if you want to look things up without having to wait for others to reply.

Also, there are few people over 20 years old on here that approve of making a diesel blow black smoke since most realize thats its just a waste of fuel and is not good for the engine. But to each his own.

Thad

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Turn up the pump.

Or put a plastic bag over the intake.

Best one is to light a tire on fire in the bed.

DragRag

Reaction score
Rolling coal is cool for about 24hrs, then you start to wonder if you are going to get pulled over for being a gross polluter. Not recommended, unless your truck is nothing more then a toy imo.