9.0L INTERNATIONAL engine

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

have a retired school bus here locally that i can buy for next to nothing, and was wondering what the power and torque ratings were for the 9.0l engines, and if i could put a turbo setup on it even if it was custom.

Whats the max rpm and whats the safe drive million miles rpm range?

Size and weight?

Are they too big to put in old trucks?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I got access to a school bus too with a Kitty motor...Sweet CAT power hmmmmmm... 5spd auto trans hmmmmmm

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9.0 is too big for a pickup and is a piece of um, well not real user friendly, low rpm and pain to work on , bad economy.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
9.0 is too big for a pickup and is a piece of um, well not real user friendly, low rpm and pain to work on , bad economy.

Thats why I was asking riot about his CAT, cus my dad has ran CATs his whole life, and he said stay far away from that one.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a kitty lover, I like to pet it. 3208 will rock with little mods.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9L makes about the same power as the 6.9, gets worse fuel economy and had a hard time holding on to a set of head gaskets. GP problems too. Probably could make it reliable if you treated it right, just doesn't have a real good reputation. If you can get the bus for next to nothing, a new set of gaskets, set of head studs...amybe it would be fine...? I dunno, no real experience with them except from what I've heard online. Keep in mind, some say the 6.9 is a POS, many say the 5.7 GM is junk.... all perspective and there are real problems with each and every one of these motors that can break the bank.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes from what ive been reading it looks as if the 9.0l is a temprimental engine. Oh well. it was worth asking.