88 ford 7.8

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone have knowledge on this engine? good or bad? what pump it runs.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New holland 7.8, made in brazil its the big brother to the 6.6, some parts can be hard to come by from what ive heard. They use a bosch mechanical pump.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it worth anything? can they make any good power? is the pump like one in a cummins?

odo says 53,000

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theyre a dime a dozen out here not very popular, decent torque but highest output was only 240hp. Basically same as a p7100.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i am able to get one cheap. wasn't sure if it would make a good motor to swap in something. i know the pump can be turned up but in terms of injectors or if the engine could handle some good power.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More fuel air and intercooler, I think people turn them up into the 300-400hp range, but theres no aftermarket injectors for them. Mack 237 injectors are used as an upgrade, and using some IH and cummins pump upgrades they can be turned up, but you will have a lot easier time on a dt466 or 8.3 as far as speed parts.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info wes. you happen to know what it weights? would it have the same SAE bell housing pattern as the other engines?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
from what i understand about the engines they are well built and on par with the cummins and IH inline engines. they respond to the same turbo and IP upgrades as well. just like Wes said though the aftermarket has not picked them up. i mentioned this to Alex and Chris and they said parts are easy to get you just have to go to the tractor world. they ran those engines in tractors for 20+ years.

for a turbo you can drop an aftermarket on on. from what i understand they run a regular bosch inline pump.

they are a parent bore engine though if that matters much. no wet sleeves to pop out.

i considered putting the 6.6 on my truck i believe that they are several inches longer than my DT360 so i backed out. the 7.8 is probably closer to a oversized DT466. like mentioned, major firewall work for a doghouse or something would be involved.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it seems to be about 40'' long. its got a 5 spd trans that has an extremely sloppy shifter and barely stays in first gear. runs really good tho. used to be a town truck for plowing and stuff.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
it is most likely a medium duty transmission with a SAE #2 bellhousing. the medium duty transmissions seem to be pretty easy to pull apart and rebuild. if you can get a number off the side it is not to hard to download a manual for most of them. i have also seen them around in the non overdrive variety for 2-400 here and there.