87' 6.9 idi won't turn over.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Good evening folks,Today I was doing an electric lift pump convervsion,and While I was looking for a good source of power to tap off of,I remembered someone telling me to use the FSS ,so I removed all three wires on the IP just to test them,and somehow the wire on the driver side furthest toward the rear of the pump,having no insulation shorted out on the side of the pump.Now two out of three wires on the IP have no power,and the truck won't crank at all.I later ran a wire from the battery to the starter relay and one wire on the IP,and it started right up so I know the relay works,and I tested all the fusible links and everything was fine with them,but I am really hoping I didn't mess up my ignition switch somehow,but I would assume the relay would be the first to go.I would really appreciate any and all help,I am nervous I really messed something up.thanks

Rock

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think you most likely blew a fuse. Does your truck have an under hood fuse panel. I'm pretty sure that's where it would be on my truck but its newer than yours. I believe mine is fuse "K" its a 20A maxi fuse.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Hi,my truck doesn't have an under the hood fuse box,only the under dash fuse panel.I looked everywhere on the truck for any type of fuse,and I can't find anything.I am hoping I am missing something.thanks

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Randy-Thank you for the diagram ,it helped me get a better idea of the layout.I marked all of the wires the proper colors so it is easier to understand (for me anyways!)sorry about the squiggly lines,and I am not sure why it is sideway.Do you know where the fuses are located?thanks

Rock
You must be registered for see images attach

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the connector on the passenger fender well. the one with the glow plug wires. Maybe baked a connection.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I spent my whole day tracing wires,and I can't find anything wrong.the only fusible links I saw were the ones on and next to the starter relay,but they all had 12v on both sides of the fuse,so they were good.This is driving me crazy,do you guys think there is a possibility I fried the ignition switch?It still seems to work,and it gives power in the run position.I did notice that as I turn the key to start (nothing happens) the coolant temp goes straight up to Hot.Are these linked somehow?

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
It starts right up when I jump it,but for some reason,when I crank the ignition i get nothing except my dash lights come on,and the temp gauge jumps up to hot.Also my gps are acting weird,the volt gauge hardly moves anymore when using the glow plugs.I am assuming the gp's,temp gauge,and ignition are all in the same circuit but I have a very hard time believing there is absolutely no protection for this.the starter and relay work perfectly when being jumped,and the ignition switch seems to works since it triggers dash lights.But for some reason they are not working together,and I can't find a reason for it.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the truck starts as runs, or just cranks when you jump across the starter relay on the passenger fender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
TNBrett-It starts and runs when I jump the relay.Is it possible there is something wrong in my gp system since my gp's,temp gauge,and starter sytem are all acting up?I am starting to think the problem is in the gp the more I think about,but I still couldn't find a bad fuse anywhere on the truck.How could this circuit not be protected by a fuse?

Rock

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the clutch interlock switch to made sure you are getting power through it. Had that happen on my 93 , at times truck would not start, bypassed it have have not had a problem since.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
the clutch safety switch was bypassed already by the previous owner.This is really throwing me for a loop.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Have you checked the clutch interlock switch to made sure you are getting power through it.

the clutch safety switch was bypassed already by the previous owner.
This was my next guess, but I see we were both wrong.

Here's something else. Have you tried adjusting your ignition switch. The lower on on the column, not the key switch. Try sliding it up toward the steering wheel slightly. You could first check to see if you're getting power to the solenoid when the key is turned to the "start" position. If there's no power there, then you have an idea on where to start looking at wires.
One more thing. The FSS wire probably isn't the best place to try to power your electric fuel pump. It would be a great place to power a relay that, in turn, powers your fuel pump.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a voltmeter, can you have someone else try and start it with the key while you check for voltage at the starter relay. Perhaps you have a bad starter relay, or poor connection there, or maybe a bad ground for the relay.

I’m thinking this problem may not be related to you shorting the IP wires. Any fuse or fusible link that might have blown from that didn’t, otherwise it wouldn’t have power to the fuel shut off solenoid to let it run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online