86 F350 cab and chassis 2wd man trans. turbo

bigdog

Reaction score
Working the bugs out after sitting 12 plus years, maybe 15 years . First start up after getting as much of the fuel system cleaned up and ready to go the motor sounds grate. After a few start ups all went down hill. Pulled IP and injectors. Prep IP for shipping and found a lot of unidentified objects came out of the side cover when removed to drain the fuel. When I first started the project the fuel had a red color , me granddad used off road. Can any one give me some insight as to what if any is the difference between the on and off road fuel other than the die and the tax u pay. After many hrs. of reading posts I am looking at the a few questions . Should I use something to help lube the fuel and what products are out there that can help . I stand to be corrected but it seems that the 6.9 could go 3 to 400 thousand miles and that the fuel systems give or take on how well u take care of it 100 thousand or more. If any builders catch this and have info as to what your clients have used in there systems would be helpful. I do use hot shot treatment in the off road motors that I have at this time and can say that I have had no problems with pumps or injectors. Maybe that was mint to be. As time rolls along the ideas that I get will only be some ones what works for me. I will never say or comment the fact that what was suggested to use will never be a u told me so. I am only looking for ideas. Have a good day

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Take a look at these threads.

I have cousins who farm, to the best of everyone’s knowledge off road fuel has dye so they can fine you for putting in a on road vehicle and lacks the “Tax” additive you see at the corner pump. Other than that no difference.

At a minimum also pump out the gas in the trucks tanks. (15 years is a long time.) You may want to also pull them and clean out, but that is a big project. Also put on a new fuel filter and blow out the fuel lines (10-15psi) and injector lines.

bigdog

Reaction score
Tank was removed , cleaned along with a new sending unit and pickup screen . Lines flushed filters changed and a new fuel water separator housing with a new filter. Installed a new fuel pump also. Tried to do what I thought might give the best shot at getting it running. What came out of the IP was not good. Not sure how to post a pick but I am sure every body has seen bad things in the wrong place.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Like Bart mentioned, you will be fined for running off-road diesel if they check you out. They are very strict in rural areas as you would imagine, due to the usage of red diesel on farms. The state troopers come around to all the farms here every so often and stick the tanks of the farms trucks.
I have heard that you will be fined up to 10k around here anyway.
Also, off-road/red diesel is just home heating oil with a different price.

Rock

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I run 2 cycle oil in all my mechanical diesel engines. It restores the lubrication that ULS diesel lacks. You should notice it smooth out as well. 300-400k miles is pretty much the standard life expectancy, but it really depends on maintenance.

Rock

bigdog

Reaction score
Central and eastern Arkansas has farm land but northwest part of the state not so much. What few places that have off road fuel seems to have a small amount of unidentified things in it when I have got fuel for my tractor. I have always been more into change the lubes and not changing the motor. This truck when I get it to work will run a 100 miles or less at a time. Thinking of running amsoil with the bypass system on the motor and the correct lubes the other boxes. My last work had the same system installed { 89 chevy 4wd Gas with over 150k } which was sold and still owned by the second owner and running perfect. Under the rocker covers is clean as the day it was new. 300 + not using oil and not smoking the last time I seen it. Has anyone else ran the amsoil products before and what results did u notice if any. Good products seem to be sometimes the expensive choice up front but in the long run wind up being the least expensive due to the quality of the product and the life of the equipment. This might be a mute thing due to the 86 F350 6.9 at this time has 28k ish miles on it at this time. Any amsoil users out there?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run it in my (2-stroke) dirtbike and snowmobile.
The bike is a 2003 that I have ridden hard for most of the 16 years I've owned it and I raced it for 4 years +/-. I'd guess it's got over 20,000 hard miles on it and I've only changed the piston and rings once (just for peace of mind). I probably should do it again this winter. :cool:
I can't necessarily give all the credit to Amsoil, but I won't be switching brands.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Now that snowmobile gets punished too. Freezing temps outside, hot temps under the hood, ice, water, and having to push all the weight on skis. Ever tried to push you wife up the ski slope?

I think I am like one of a dozen folks with Snowmobiles in Socal. But likely the only one with 6 of them. (4 adult sleds and 2 for the kids.)

Brian VT - I have a home in ME but have not yet snowmobiled in ME. Maybe sometime I can borrow my friends and meet you in VT for a little ridding.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Brian, I actually am getting better as I get older (maybe not faster). I keep trying new things on my 1997 KX250 and I seem to manage to do them. I have to admit that I rarely ride fast. The last time that I was on a MX track was almost 11 years ago. I ride more enduro-like trails most of the time these days. I was never any good on a MX track, but I can do ok doing off road things and I enjoy it more too. I never had the fitness or training for MX.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No MX for me either. I raced enduros. No crowds to see your crashes. :cool:
And you get to ride all day. No waiting around for motos.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've never raced. Just rode. In the case of MX, it wasn't even riding. It was playing.