86 f 350

bigdog

Reaction score
Have had the 86 6.9 running after 12 or more years. Has been grate to here it run after all these years. Motor sounds very good to start with but that did not last long as the fuel system looked like the Valdez ran a ground. Did know that fuel can come out of so many places. To start with the fuel tank was removed , cleaned, replaced fuel sending unit ,original fuel water separator replaced along with a new fuel pump and filters . That helped get the project off the ground. Injector pump leaking from shaft. Return lines all leaking. Started looking at all the candy store pump rebuilders that will start with a stock pump all the way up to how fast do u want to blow it up. I am looking for a some advice from anyone that has been down this road. This is my first 6.9 . Many seem like good choices . I seem to find the moose pump , classic diesel design come up along with many others. Found that there is a major price difference in the pumps and injectors. Can any one shed a little light on these pumps and injectors . I do not want to sink a ton into these parts , on the other hand I would like to think that the best choice might make it a one time deal to start with.

gandalf

Reaction score
You seem to understand the theory of "do it once, do it right". There are so many places to have an injector pump rebuilt, places which know only how to get your money. Some simply seem to clean the outside of the IP and sell it as rebuilt. Before you buy anything expensive you should read the Oilburners Hall of Shame located in the Tech articles section.

The members of this forum have 4 favorite pump rebuilders, Mel (Moose), CDD, Justin (can't remember his company name, and Russ RussRepair. We all have our own favorite among there four.

bigdog

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. U are right about spending the bucks for the product. I have spent last night and most of the day removing the said parts to be repaired. The soap and send it back to sender would be my luck . I think I did get lucky that the engine has under 29k. All injectors came out without any problem. Going to the form for brain food. If I am not prying to much as to what if any pump work and or brand do u have. The 6.9 I have does have a aftermarket turbo installed .

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have two more sayings to add to Gandalf's. 1) you've got to pay if you want to play. 2) buy once, cry once. They (these plus Gandalf's) are the "rules" that I try to go with when I work on something like this.

Last edited:

bigdog

Reaction score
This site and members in it have a lot of info for the mind. Looking at info given at this time has been a grate help. A few calls. Maybe with what little I understand at this time I might ask some of the wright questions and get a better idea of what might seem to be the best way to go. I am not looking at making this thing build big HP but be dependable . I always looked at the fact if the thing will start, run, stop and be very reliable than I feel good about not wearing out a good pair of shoes or paying a lot of tow bills. I am looking at the fact that I have started in this project that I am not digging myself a hole that will be a hard climb out of . Earlier post the pump and injectors are out at this time. Did not take the cover and gear out. I feel that this might be the better way to reinstall the pump without having timing issues. If there is some things to look for I would be grateful for the info.
Have a good day

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That is the best/easiest way to ensure that you don't have pump timing issues after the install.

IDIRICHARD

Reaction score
Late response from me but I bought my MOOSE pump and injectors from Mel CONESTOGA who is now semi retired. They moved business to South Carolina.

I don't buy "price" but results and my 6.9 PURRS like a cat!
The quietest IDI you will ever hear!

86 F350 1TON DUALLY CREW CAB 4X4 ATS TURBO GEAR VENDOR OVERDRIVE 235000

I recommend them!

Suzi Agne- Owner
Moose Diesel
3830 B Augusta Hwy
Gilbert, SC 29054
803-892-0164