86 6.9 idi no oil pressure at idle

Dirty Bluford

Reaction score
Hello,
Recently bought a 6.9 idi ran fine but parked on a hill it wouldn’t suck fuel. Fixed it and vented the system everything seems to run ok but now at idle it wont read oil pressure but the idiot light wont turn on. As soon as it get going oil pressure comes back up the middle. Do i have a faulty gage or idiot light?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The factory gauges on our trucks aren't worth much. They're like an idiot light that moves a needle. The solution is to install an aftermarket gauge or gauge set. By the way, welcome.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The factory gauges on our trucks aren't worth much. They're like an idiot light that moves a needle. The solution is to install an aftermarket gauge or gauge set. By the way, welcome.

Yep. My 87 F250, the last owner got scared by the factory gauge dropping enough to make the "ENGINE" light flicker at idle sometimes. He put in a mechanical gauge and pressure is fine.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '93 I jumpered the resistor in series with the gauge (on the backside of the instrument panel), and installed the proper sensor (variable) to replace the original idiot-light (either on or off) type. Now I have a stock gauge that actually shows changing pressure, although it's not calibrated in psi.

backyard_mechanic

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the gauge showing no pressure. Changed out the sensor snd it worked for a day and back to 0psi. Threw a cheap Napa gauge in and found out it had great pressure. Also if you’re not wanting a cheap ugly gauge cluttering up tour dash glow shift makes nice looking easy to wire in electronic gauges and nice pods. Cheap too.

12pilgrim

Reaction score
I had a huge scare when my factory gauge showed I was way overheating! Installed aftermarket gauges under the dash.. runs beautifully. Can't trust the stock gauges, they're just a novelty item. 86 6.9 F250

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I had a huge scare when my factory gauge showed I was way overheating! Installed aftermarket gauges under the dash.. runs beautifully. Can't trust the stock gauges, they're just a novelty item. 86 6.9 F250

My RV's water temp gauge was running pretty darn high when driving in very heavy head winds. It was probably accurate since the fan clutch was weak. I put an aftermarket gauge in before the fan clutch was replaced, and the fan clutch dropped temps by 10-15 degrees.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Don't be alarmed if you install an aftermarket gage and find low pressure. The engines idle with about 7 psi and run with 30, if I remember correctly. The magic is that the oil pumps put out a LOT of volume, so high pressure is not necessary, perhaps even counterproductive.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
The oil pressure "gauge" on my 6.9 always went dead at idle, so I raised the idle rpm to 850rpm just for the peace of mind until I got real gauges.

Rock

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't be alarmed if you install an aftermarket gage and find low pressure. The engines idle with about 7 psi and run with 30, if I remember correctly. The magic is that the oil pumps put out a LOT of volume, so high pressure is not necessary, perhaps even counterproductive.

Yes, that is why they can get by with it… they move a lot of oil. Plus, there are 8 built in oil leaks……… (piston jets)