85 E350 no blower

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's a ground issue but I don't know where to look. The blower has worked a couple really random times but it's been weeks since it has worked. Not even defrost works. It simply doesn't blow at all.

Maybe it's related to my wiper issue where only high works and it doesn't turn off properly, but rather instantly when the switch hits low or off.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you verified power to the blower fuse?

Wiper issue sounds like a bad delay module to me but I could be mistaken. I assume you have intermittent wipers?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Have you verified power to the blower fuse?

Wiper issue sounds like a bad delay module to me but I could be mistaken. I assume you have intermittent wipers?

The fuse was missing when I bought it. I put one in and it worked randomly a couple times, now nothing. I'll check for power tomorrow when it's not raining.

No intermittent wipers; just off, low and high.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have intermittent wipers I'm not sure then. The two trucks I've had both had intermittent wipers and that goes through a separate circuit. Might be a controller issue but thats on the wiper motor so that would be replacing the whole thing anyway. No point in doing that job twice, it's a pain.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yeah my 87 F250 has intermittent. Vans got shafted on features.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well darn it! I was going to say that it's because you have a turbo instead of a blower, but I guess that I was way off with that train of thought.:dunno

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I dug up the schematics for most of the electrics, except wipers. It's even for diesel.

The resistor with ac is 3 prong but i think you can only get 2 pong now, for without ac. Not sure why they made it different. Looks like you can just splice the high switch wire directly like with 2 prong non-ac.

You must be registered for see images attach

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going with failing motor on the wipers. That is how they go, first intermittent, then low.......
For the blower, first verify power to the motor, if its getting it then get in the motor and check for siezed bearing or trash in the squirrel cage. That will give you random function and its usually fixed with lube.
If you have no juice to the blower motor then trace it back. I think there is a resister in the control module that often goes bad, but usually when it does the blower only works on high. I am going with rats nest in motor or seized bearing.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I am going with failing motor on the wipers. That is how they go, first intermittent, then low.......
For the blower, first verify power to the motor, if its getting it then get in the motor and check for siezed bearing or trash in the squirrel cage. That will give you random function and its usually fixed with lube.
If you have no juice to the blower motor then trace it back. I think there is a resister in the control module that often goes bad, but usually when it does the blower only works on high. I am going with rats nest in motor or seized bearing.

Re: wipers, would that also make it not stop properly? When set to low/off, it stops instantly, even mid wipe.

I'll see if power directly applied to the motor does anything. I have a handy 12v plug in cable with an in line fuse, great for testing things.

I can try putting 12v directly to the wiper motor too. Happen to know the pinout of the motor?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: wipers, would that also make it not stop properly? When set to low/off, it stops instantly, even mid wipe.

That was what I was referring to as well. There is a circuit board on the wiper motor itself that will go bad with age and vibration. If the low circuit is bad yes it will stop mid wipe like that.

Go here and you might be able to find the wiper diagram

http://www.wilsonautoelectric.com/TSBDatabase

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just in case you haven’t found the blower motor location (or someone in the future looking at this thread) on the 75-91 E-Series vans, it is NOT under the hood.

The blower motor is located inside the cabin, on the passenger side right above the passengers feet, behind a black panel. If the van has a computer, it’s mounted in front of the blower. The C-6 vans and diesels should not have anything in front of the blower location.

Owning an 85 for a decade, I’m 99.99% certain the blower motor is bad. The way the blower is designed, all the air that is moved by the blower is pulled across the motor.

In the trucks, or just about any engine compartment mounted blower, the motor is on one side of the solid mounting plate, and the squirrel cage is on the other side of the plate. There may be a small “hose” that pushes fresh air to the motor, but for the most part, the air being moved into the cabin is not near the motor.

On the 75-91 vans, the motor mount plate is more like an X, with the motor mounted to one side, the wheel on the other, and all the cabin air is pulled across the motor.

We normally had to replace the blower motor once a year, normally in the fall when the ambient temperature got colder. It would start squealing, and then just not work.

I’m not sure in the 92 up vans how it is set up, but in the 20 years Dad had his 94 I don’t remember him having to replace the blower, and they were both daily driven.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yep thanks, I already saw the blower location. It should be stupid easy to just run 12v directly to the blower motor to see if it turns. I've just had too much else to do, plus it was raining all day yesterday, and I'm a bit sick at the moment.

New, more pressing things keep coming up, like a roof vent cover lid was super brittle from dry rot decided to start cracking into dozens of pieces after I bumped it with my knee while up on the roof, doing some sealing before more rain hits tomorrow and the day after. $21.99 later to a little mom and pop RV shop I frequent, it has a new vent cover lid.

As long as I have high wipers, that can wait too.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in case you haven’t found the blower motor location (or someone in the future looking at this thread) on the 75-91 E-Series vans, it is NOT under the hood.

Mine must be a freak then. My ‘88 e250 has the blower motor mounted under the hood in the engine compartment. It sites just on the other side of the firewall from the passenger side leg areas. The coils for the heat and AC are located on the inside of the firewall in the passenger side leg area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Very odd. The wipers started acting more normal this morning. Maybe the motor is freeing up more from use after sitting a lot. I don't guess you can lubricate it, huh?

Blower is still a no-go, but I haven't done any diagnostic on it yet

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember if you can or not but the linkage has replacable bushings at least on the trucks. It's not really a fun job though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online