80-86 ignition switch breakage problem

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
My tumbler has broken twice in the last two years. Yes, the design has a little to do with it, but the starter momentary switch position has become very difficult to turn to and I was wondering of anyone else has had this problem? The parts are pretty cheap to replace, so I imagine that it is not uncommon.

The little pin on the end of the tumbler is what breaks off. I can actuate the rod going down the column by hand for every position except to start it. I have a new switch, which I guess is the problem, but am not entirely confident. I have replaced this switch long ago in another 85, but it did not have a tilt wheel option like I do now, and I wonder if that may have any affect in causing my current woes.

Any insight is welcome. I am at my second house with limited tools (limited only in that I don't have a lot here, there are hardware and auto stores to buy what I need) and working on a gravel driveway. Many would say, "so what?" but I like to work on the truck on my own terms, not 400 miles from home, especially if I need to tear something (steering column) way apart.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since the key switch works everything but the start function, you could put a starter push button in your truck. M The switches in both my Red and Blue trucks do the same thing. They also both have a push button for the start. It would also be cheaper, easier to do, and it would require fewer tools. I'm going to do the same for my Ex Wife truck and won't even think about going back to a key start.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
This was just brought up a bit ago, tilt wheel has some extra moving parts that need to be stripped down and new greaseless lube that tolerates cold well. I used Boeshield.

I might try that if the new parts create havoc. I put in heavy grease once, thinking it would help, but maybe not. This time I wiped out all the grease I could find and thinned it with WD40. Will put some thin oil in there later on. Seems to be working with less effort now, anyway.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might try that if the new parts create havoc. I put in heavy grease once, thinking it would help, but maybe not. This time I wiped out all the grease I could find and thinned it with WD40. Will put some thin oil in there later on. Seems to be working with less effort now, anyway.
I used wheel bearing grease once too, and it was not only harder to actuate but when then cold came it ended up being impossible. Thats the linkage I broke.