78 Ford 351m

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hav a bronco witha 351 m and i was driving it and it started spitting and sputtering and i couldnt figure out why. well i put a new carb on it and noticed vacuum lines were layin everywhere. could this be why it was dying? the pcv valve has two ports on it and one goes to the back of the carb and there was no line for the other. i stuck my thumb over the hole and it idled great! is does anyone know how these vacuum lines go on?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I always just remove the PCV valve (or ANY emissions controls) from my engines, but I don't have to pass a smog check up here :)

quick way to fix it: if it looks like everything is hooked up that needs to be, then just put a rubber vacuum line cap over any open holes, you're losing vacuum through everything that's open

one of these should cover you

Attachments

• 351m vac1.gif
    351m vac1.gif
    53.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 351m vac2.gif
    351m vac2.gif
    44.7 KB · Views: 5

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i can cap off all my vacuum lines and be done with it? because it runs like a champ but i noticed that it started back firing and what not all of a sudden because of vacuum im sure of. the carb just got rebuilt so i know its not the carb and the timing is correct.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I normally run vacuum to only what's absolutely needed, but yes, essentially you can just say **** on it and cap it off LOL
on most of my stock vehicles, I hook up simply the brake booster and vacuum advance on the distributor, and occasionally climate controls if they are vacuum driven

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I'm a stick shift, no power brakes kinda guy.
lemme see on my F100 I've only got vacuum going to the crankcase. Keeping it simple.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see thats what i want to do i just want it goin to my crankcase. but its got it going to egr,pcv, advance on distributor, carb, vacuum tank that looks like a coffey can, to my choke i am tired of messing with it and just wanna drive it lol. i just want it for my crank case and need to know what i have to do in which i can still use the choke and pcv for carb and crank case

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always just remove the PCV valve (or ANY emissions controls) from my engines, but I don't have to pass a smog check up here :)

quick way to fix it: if it looks like everything is hooked up that needs to be, then just put a rubber vacuum line cap over any open holes, you're losing vacuum through everything that's open

one of these should cover you

no pcv valve? you know its a positive crankcase ventilation valve, which lets the crankcase breathe, right? without a pcv valve you run a good chance of blowing out your engine gaskets and seals. also the breathers they put onto the valve covers are not strong enough to handle the job of the pcv valve. deleting the emmisions equipment is ok but i wouldnt remove something that vents the engines crankcase

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well see i dont know anything about vacuum principles i havnt ever had troubles with it. i just know what needs to be hooked up to make it run good basically

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
You need a PCV, and vacuum advance will greatly improve your life.
Other than that, you shouldn't need anything.
I've never bothered using a choke, but I also live in south Georgia....
Just remember when you remove all the choke stuff to put a foam piece of filter where the choke arm goes into the airhorn, otherwise you'll have none filtered air going into the engine.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ill just leave my choke stuff all hooked up and just run the pcv. so i can just cap everything else off and ill be set

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online