76 300d Rust repair thread(nice pics)

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I want to share the repairs I will be doing on my car and update it as I go.

There is a considerable amount of rust on the drivers side floor board, strangely enough, not on the passenger side. In fact the passenger side of the car on the exterior has no where near the amount of rust that the drivers side does. The rear drivers side pannel is riddled with rust. I will be cutting it all out and replacing it with new material!

Comments, suggestions, and encouragement welcomed! ;Sweet

That last picture is the one and only hole I have under the drivers seat, the rest are either in front of it or behind it. Also this floor pan rusted from the inside out. Once I cut away enough to show the good metal underneath in some parts you will see what I mean.

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_0124.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0124.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 6
  • rsz_dsc_0129.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0129.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 5
  • rsz_dsc_0133.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0133.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 6
  • rusty benz.jpg
    rusty benz.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Pic0552.jpg
    Pic0552.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Ya as soon as I get those pics uploaded this thread will be more interesting! I have most of the interior stripped for welding.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shocked: OUCH :shocked:

Did this car live on the coast all of her life, or where did she come from? ...that kinda rust isn't common on a CA vehicle :(

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya the rust is weird on this car. it was a coastal car in cambria, ca
Actually, if she spent her entire life in Cambria, that does make sense. The salt air will kill vehicles quick...you should see how badly my truck's doing after only 5 years on the coast :(

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I know how the coast air eats things up.:D I lived in Guadalupe, CA for awhile, a little town on the coast north of Santa Barbra and west of Santa Maria. The 93 in my sig has a huge rust hole above the passenger side rear window from the moist salt air there. Completly random to. cookoo

No, it was not its whole life.
The previous owner said it was owned by some guy in Cambria for about 10-15 years. The car has had a macco quality paint job before and the paint kind of sealed the trim to the car in areas, but allowed water to enter through the top of the trim, sitting and eating away causing the rust to radiate away from those holes with the rubber bits in them. That my only theory as to why it rusted like that on the outside. The inside is obvious when I take a good look at the sunroof and the front windshield. The rust on the floor looks like water just sat and the floor festered with rust.

Someone got mad at the leak with what looks like 5 tubes of black RTV!cookoo haha, that is not going to be fun to remove from the flashing.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey warden.... the pics get scarier! hahahaha
This I gotta see!! :shocked:

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you...but, given that W115 300D's aren't all that common especially in this day and age, it's a worthwhile job IMHO ;Sweet

Now that I've said that, the CARB eco-Nazis are going to extend their ban on older diesels to passenger vehicles -cuss -cuss -cuss

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Well, I have made a little progress, I busted this out on my lunch break. The hole that was under the seat bracket no longer exists. ;Sweet
You must be registered for see images attach

I gotta take some pics of the other huge rust holes. The more I picked at them the bigger they grew. Especially the one where the gas pedal used to live.LOL:eek:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know. There after our precious IDIs. :(
Sadly, it could be worse...at least we're still able to register our trucks (although my registration bill keeps going up). As of 2014 (unless they change it), any diesel bigger than an F-350 and older than 2004's going bye-bye. It's really rotten IMHO -cuss -cuss -cuss

Hopefully something gets done to change this...it is one thing to impose stringent emissions requirements on new vehicles, but it's a completely different ballgame when you make them retroactive like this. This whole thing angers me beyond words -cuss (and, for the most part, I'm fairly liberal compared to most on this board)...

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Sadly, it could be worse...at least we're still able to register our trucks (although my registration bill keeps going up). As of 2014 (unless they change it), any diesel bigger than an F-350 and older than 2004's going bye-bye. It's really rotten IMHO -cuss -cuss -cuss

Hopefully something gets done to change this...it is one thing to impose stringent emissions requirements on new vehicles, but it's a completely different ballgame when you make them retroactive like this. This whole thing angers me beyond words -cuss (and, for the most part, I'm fairly liberal compared to most on this board)...

It can't possibly be done with out effectively putting 50% of businesses out of business. Hahaha, this is insanity! :backoff-cuss

It messes me up to man.

If the day and age comes to where our trucks are being given the boot by CARB I guess maybe there could be a way to claim it as a "bio-diesel" truck and find a good source of biodiesel to run it on. Thats only if the CARB only issue is emmisions from the older diesels.

Desert Dually

cane corso
Reaction score

Why would your registration bill get higher each year??? Mine gets lower & i'm only one state away from you.
Can you explain this better? I dont understand about CARB and older diesels. Why wouldnt they be "grandfathered in"??? :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.