$70 motorcraft starter?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, before I drive off on the tow truck there's a couple things that I want new before I just "trust" them, like a new mechanical fuel pump and the rest of the fuel system except the IP. The other thing is the starter and probably batteries. I have a direct drive starter that came from O'Reilly's on my Turbo 7.3 on the dually that I really like, it spins super fast. They're like $180 at O'Reilly and @$120 on rockauto. But there's a motorcraft on rockauto for $70. It doesn't look like a direct drive, but there's like no information on it. Part# nsa774510n Do any of you know anything about it? I don't want the old style Mitsubishi starter, they don't seem to spin as fast as the new style direct drive, and with alternative fuels you want as much encouragement as possible for your engine to start. if this is legit I'll buy 2 so I can just have an extra. Thanks for any input!

Black dawg

Reaction score
Original 6.9 starter is direct drive......looks like giant GM small block starter.
Original 7.3 starter is mitsubishi gear reduction 3.6kw. And is a good starter. Seems to be more particular about having perfect ring gear teeth......
Lots of aftermarket nippondenso 2.5kw gear reduction starters out there, and they are ok. Very tolerant to rough ring gears.
Have not tried the 4kw nippondenso gear reduction on my truck, but have used many on powerstrokes. Huge cranking speed hot or cold.

THe old direct drive starters do spin the engine faster.....with ideal conditions. Add cold,heat, or lower voltage and they go away quick.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have a Napa branded 4kw starter on my dad's truck, it cranks considerably faster than my truck, so far hasn't been an issue.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is a Google search on the part#

According to this e-bay listing, fit 89 - 94 7.3 Diesel.

You better buy the Rock Auto one, great price.

I use the Power Master 9050. cheapest one of those is $197.

Goat

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
In general, direct-drive tend to draw the highest amps. I try for gear reduction whenever possible. That said, I don't have IDI's any more.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, I probably will get 2 of the ones on rockauto. I'm ignorant of electrical stuff.... unlike @Selahdoor lahdoor and his brawny brain, so I don't know what a "3G" alternater is. I'm currently about to go nuts trying to install a stereo that's worth a hoot in this thing. Peace!!!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd better get it quick! It says only one left!

I went to look because that's a great price, but I'm not going to buy it from under you either lol.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd better get it quick! It says only one left!

I went to look because that's a great price, but I'm not going to buy it from under you either lol.
Go for it! Everyone else did, Im not sweating it. It'll be a week or so before I can move on it. I'll probably get one at O'Reilly's. If I get it at O'Reilly and it farts out, I can exchange it that day which is the same as having 2. If I can't get 2 on rockauto, I don't want it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Original 6.9 starter is direct drive......looks like giant GM small block starter.
Not to mention that they feel like they weigh 3 times as much as any other brand of starter for our trucks. They look like a DBC starter because they were made by AC Delco. Personally, I think that they're junk and wouldn't run one on my trucks.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that they feel like they weigh 3 times as much as any other brand of starter for our trucks. They look like a DBC starter because they were made by AC Delco. Personally, I think that they're junk and wouldn't run one on my trucks.
The one that's on my truck now doesn't have the nose cone, it shoots straight out from the electric motor and it spins like the dickens! The $70 one on rockauto looks like a baby starter, that's why I started the thread......but rockauto should send me a royalty check, I mean, I did sell all the starters they had by mentioning them this morning!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to, but as crazy as this sounds, I've never had a good experience letting anyone work on my stuff...never. I won't even let a tire store mount tires on rims for me anymore. I had a woman make a big decal for my back glass, and she screwed that up. So, if anything I'd figure out how to rebuild them, but I'd rather just get one.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'd love to, but as crazy as this sounds, I've never had a good experience letting anyone work on my stuff...never. I won't even let a tire store mount tires on rims for me anymore. I had a woman make a big decal for my back glass, and she screwed that up. So, if anything I'd figure out how to rebuild them, but I'd rather just get one.

And at least the corp auto parts stores honor lifetime warranties with little fuss, even after 5+ years, as long as you can prove you bought it, either with their purchase history database (phone number, name, location, and month/year of purchase) or with a physical receipt.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The one that's on my truck now doesn't have the nose cone, it shoots straight out from the electric motor and it spins like the dickens! The $70 one on rockauto looks like a baby starter, that's why I started the thread......but rockauto should send me a royalty check, I mean, I did sell all the starters they had by mentioning them this morning!
If it's like the one that Old Goat linked, that looks like the short Mitsubishi style. The one on Rock Auto is probably the Nippendenso style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online